Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

When I start my engine in the mornings, I get a tick, tick, tick .... however after a short run (5 mins) the noise goes away. 3 questions:

1) Are these the so called noisy tappets?
2) What the hell are tappets?
3) Do I need to do anything about this?

I have looked at previous threads and there are mixed responses.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
To answer point 3, you could try draining the existing oil, flushing and refilling. I understand that there was an oil feed pipe modification that should alleviate the problem on older cars (mine was a 1987). Essentially either the oil isn't flowing properly or the hydraulic tappet is worn & hence not pressurising correctly. You could replace them but this may or may not be worth doing depending on age & value of car. At the end of the day, as long as you take it easy until they've stopped ticking, it won't do any long term harm - mine did it for 100,000 miles, it just took a bit longer for them to stop ticking at the end!

I'll leave those with more time and a more fluid literary style to cover points 1 and 2 .

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is a quote from the Handbook with my 1996 2.0 CDE LPT;
'In certain conditions the hydraulic cam followers may emit a ticking noise that can be heard inside the car. This is most likely immediately after starting, before the oil pressure has reached its normal level. It is also possible for air to enter the lubricating system when the oil or oil filter is changed or if the car has been left standing for a prolonged period.

In this case the ticking noise may be heard for as long as 15 minutes, but, again, this is normal and does not indicate any malfunction. However, do not exceed 3000rpm until the noise has disappeared'

If yours is not a CDE of similar age to mine this may not apply to your car and I wouldn't want to give you a false sense of security.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Tappets are the link between the valve and camshaft,they can gum up if oil is not changed regularly,they can also be stripped and cleaned but this would involve removing the camshaft.If the noise stops as you describe I would not worry,using one of the oil flush addatives might help but as I have never used one do not take this as a recomendation.
mike

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by scallywag:
[qb]Hi All,

When I start my engine in the mornings, I get a tick, tick, tick .... however after a short run (5 mins) the noise goes away. 3 questions:

1) Are these the so called noisy tappets?
2) What the hell are tappets?      
3) Do I need to do anything about this?
[/qb][/b]
1. Probably, when was the oil last changed, and how regularly?
2. The hydraulic tappets on 9000's are the self adjusting link bewtwwn cam lob and valve stem.
3. Change your oil. If it still persists then you can whip the cam cover off and look for any 'soft' tappets and either look at cleaning or replacing it/them.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts