Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have got this really weird noise coming from my engine. It basically goes tick tick
tick stop tick tick tick stop. When it starts ticking each tick gets louder and louder then it stops for a few seconds and then starts again.

I guessing that this is probably the hydrolic tappets but I am not sure. Any ideas why it would do this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BOBBYD:
[qb]GO TO SAABOWENERSCLUB .ENTER 9000 FORUM AND POST MESSAGE RE SAME . GEOFFR WILL PROBABLY ANSWER YOUR MESSAGE .HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ,GOOD LUCK [/qb][/b]
There are quite a few people on here who know a thing or too, please don't shout at us.

Ticking could be one of the following:
<ul type="square">
[*]Worn tappets (as you say)
[*]Worn timing (or balance shaft*) chains and/or gears
[*]Loud injectors!
[/list]
Basically chain noise is indentifiable in that it sounds a lot like a loose bicycle chain inside the engine!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it is coming from down near the front right tire below the PS resevior, it is your purge valve for the charcoal canister and is very common for 9000's when is is cold. It cycle on/off/on while you are idling and is VERY load. My 1997 CSE FPT does the same thing but only during the winter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
Ticking could be one of the following:
<ul type="square">
[*]Worn tappets (as you say)
[*]Worn timing (or balance shaft*) chains and/or gears
[*]Loud injectors!
[/list]
Basically chain noise is indentifiable in that it sounds a lot like a loose bicycle chain inside the engine! [/QB][/b]
I have a similar noise in my 2.3 FPT. Pretty sure its the tappets (sounds like knackered tappets do on other engines anyway!). What's the cure for this? New cams and tappets, or is there any kind of refresh that can be done to the tappets? I've tried an oilchange which made no difference..

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Cheers,
Tim.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They are hydraulic, oil makes the adjustment. The only 100% cure is to replace the worn ones, but I have heard of people removing the followers and giving them a good clean up and putting them back. It has worked for people. The biggest problem is finding out which ones are noisy. being DI it's not so easy to run the engine with the cam cover off. I assume it's turbo is it?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
To change the tappets means cams out. You'll have to set the timing on the engine and take the chain off the cam sprockets. Let us know if you're going to go ahead and try it yourself, and we can talk you through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.