Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The tick over on the 9000XS (J) is all over the place. No matter how hot the engine or how long the run sometimes it will still idle at 1,500 rpm and sometimes its ok.

What should I be looking for?

TIA

Ian

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
First thing to check is Idle Control Valve (ICV) as this has a direct bearing on the tickover.

Disconnecting for a few minutes should reset the ECU parameters for the ICV, causing it to recalibrate when reconnected. Plus clean out any oil/gunk which may have collected before reconnecting.

Some use solvents, but probably a lightly soaked rag would be better than pooring in neat solvent.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
This might do it, but it shows where the valve is for turbo models with Trionic (the only type I have). Should help to show you what one looks like, though.

Cleaning the AIC valve.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery or pull the fuse for the engine management afterwards, so it adapts to the clean valve's characteristics. Or maybe that's not necessary on non-Trionic systems...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ian,

ICV is the canister type thing up on top of the eng near the throttle body. about 3 inches long, 2 inch pipes one in end, one in side, plug connector on other end. It's just a ECU controlled air bypass to allow the 'puter to alter the idle (to compensate for a/c etc.)

If you head over to www.townsendimports.com (?) there's a thing on pulling error codes from the ECU with a bit of wire - it works, I've done it many times.

Don't know if lambda could cause this? If so, I have a spare

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.