Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi pete

Cause' dim wit here,whacked the wheel off a bloody kerb.I was acting the clown in the wet going up a road,and put my foot down,the wheels spun the car veered to the right very quick,and before I got any chance to correct it bang I hit the kerb,
I also nackered my wheel too,and tore a hole in the tyre (a brand new P6000),Iv'e got another wheel,but the car pulls to the right,hence the f****d swing arm,smart a***d b*****d that I am,'mmmm'
So there you have it one easy lesson how to bugger up your steering,no' bad eh!.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Pete

I went to ATS and the guy took me under the car and showed me the damage,he was also quite surprised that (as you say too) the track rod wasn't bent,(well what he could see he said it wasnt)but what he did say was when I get a new 'swing arm',(thats the bike coming out),he said to go back and he'd check it (tracking that is).
He said 'you must have hit that kerb wi a f*****g clout',I said yep,I did!.
So thats how I found that its nackered.
What I'd also like to say,now if the wheel hits the a kerb,how can the 'swing arm' be bent (yes I know you'll be saying that too),maybe your right,maybe it is the track rod after all,but if thats the case why #1 did the guy in ATS say there was nothing wrong with it (what he could see)and #2if there a bend in the swing arm (maybe its allways been there).would I not have noticed something very wrong if that was the case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
without sounding to negative,
belive it or not the front lower suspension arm (as you call it swinging arm) on the 9000 are not as strong as you would think, after all they are only made of alloy, if the impact is of a certain angle the lower arm will bend, I have changed loads of them usually in winter after the car skiding on ice and hitting kerb, they are easy to change as pete says but it would be a good idea to have your car checked on a fourwheel alignment rig once you have changed the arm, if you have hit the kerb as hard as you say there could be other damage as the subframe is only made of the same alloy.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you say the 'swing arm' is made of alloy,I saw the damage when the guy pointed it out.
I said 'I thought these were quite tough,he said 'yeah they are there about 4/5ml steel',thats why I think he said what he did,as in 'I gave it a heavy clout',so they are quite easy to change.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I meant to say this in the last reply,no there wasnt any other damage to anything that we could see,accept possibly the track rod end that I mentioned earlier.
So I may have to replace that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.