Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well decided to give it a try. Also added some more insulating wrap farther down the intake tube and so disconnected the battery.

ECU even after driving around for an hour still doesn't seem to have learned its way back to normal, but it feels very

Once the ECU has returned to normal I'll have more info.

Anyhow, pretty simple process. Those with the 9-3 will need a 1/4" (about 6 mm) bypass pipe instead of the 1/2" used on the NG900 according to ERP's site. I also used a curved tube just because it was easier.

Here are the pics in order of completion:

Dubbya~

·
Registered
494 Posts
looks great, Adrian

IIRC, you also own a c900... have you considered this mod for this car as well?

i understand that the coolant is designed to warm up the throttle plate to reduce the chance at it freezing in place, it would make sense to me that, as i believe i have heard mentioned here, that the coolant would continue to flow through the throttle even in 90 or 100 degree (Fahrenheit) temperatures, thus warming the air that has just passed through the I/C which was attempting to cool it.

let us know if you notice any more difference to performace in the higher temperature ranges (after wrapping the intake) that we are dealing with in south cali. i have been considering a coolant bypass / wrapping intake/exhaust but have not yet undertaken these tasks.

if these have all made some major improvements in hot-weather driving, i may move this mod up my list a bit.

it's good to see others in the area so in love with their Saab, i wonder what county do you live in? i would enjoy meeting you and seeing your ride sometime fyi, i am in the Southern half of Orange County (i apologize if this should have gone in a PM, figured i would add it in with my response)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Loma Linda, which is in the SouthWest corner of San Bernardino county. If I get a chance I'm up for a meet.

As for the C900 I did this a while ago, I have also since used some of my spare heat wrap to wrap some of the pipes on it. It doesn't have nearly as long pipes on the cool side of the intercooler, and really it needs something to insulate the intake manifold. But I wrapped the cold pipe from the IC, and the right hand side of the IC which faces the radiator and doesn't get any airflow.

Still I did do more or less the same thing to it. It's benefited some, though not quite as much as the Viggen. I also changed the coolant to mostly water with 15% Glycol and RedLine Water Wetter. Good results from that too.

Good stuff!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i did my 9000's coolant bypass yesterday.. cost $2 in part...
anyway.. it has more go than normal, and the occurance of knock has reduced at higher rpms.

helps me keep that 15psi to redline...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, worked it out for myself in the end

I was correct with the top inlet hose, but wrong with the outlet hose.

Its seems weird that one of the water hoses runs from down near the turbo, branches off into what appears to be a breather hose and then splits off to the throttle body. I assume its a joint pipe, water outer, breather inner.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is, very wierd My throttle heater pipe cracked down at the turbo end a few months ago - it took me a while to figure out what the hell it was!

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts