Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is unable to produce the power as it once did and there is an air whooshing sound when the accelerator is pressed down far enough. My mechanic tells me that it is the throttle body. It seems to have come away and he is saying that I need a replacement part - best 2nd hand he said as it will be expensive from SAAB.

I just caught a glimpse of a hose hanging down with what seemed like a metal insert inside it. Assuming he is right, can anyone advise me of a reliable source for such a thing from a 9000 Griffen 2.3 FPT Automatic 1997?

TIA

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
My CSE 2.0LPT is doing the same and I can see oil on the hose that fits to that tube under the throttle body. I haven't got round to sorting it out but I'm confident that's what's wrong. When I have time, I intend to undo the hose, remove the tube, clean it all up and glue it in with epoxy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]I think you can just put the metal bit back in.  It will need glueing with some high temp adhesive.  I've read here that several people have done this.  Try a search. [/qb][/b]
They tried welding it believe it or not but it popped back out again so they suggested I need to replace

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have "JB Weld" in the UK? It's a metal glue available at the auto-parts store.

Because they are disimiliar metals (aluminum TB and brass hose boss) welding isn't an answer.

I believe the brass hose boss was an interference or press fit originaly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hiya..

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago - it's an easy fix thankfully!

JB Weld is the stuff - having used it myself I can safely say it's the dogs ******! You can get it from Halfords, but be sure to get the high temp one!

You'll have to pull the Throttle body out to do it, but it's a 10 minute job to do that once you've unhooked the throttle cable and undone the inlet piping.

Make sure that the brass insert still fits ok and give it a good clean with acetone or similar to get rid of the oil and grease that will be on it. A rub with wet and dry aill also gove it a good keying surface too. Mix up the JB Weld and gloop it over the brass tube and push it back into place. Leave overnight to cure and re-fit to get that lovely thrusting turbo boost back!

last point - there's a small vacuum pipe just underneath the hose that fits onto that brass tube - I snagged and broke mine without realising and only got partial boost back (I think it went to the APC cos the dump valve just made a continual "pff pff pff pff pff" noise... ) Trimmed the end, re-fitted it and full boost was back!

Sorry it's a long posting... I'm a wordy b*gger!!

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.