Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took off the turbo hose to look at the throttle body today. I noticed that the flap was open. I could manually move it to close and it seems free enough. my questions are.

1. shouldn't it be in the close position when the engine is off.
2. while inspecting the throttle body with engine running I was spraying carbon cleaner in it. while wiping the pipe before the flap with a paper towel it got sooked out my hand into the thb. :eek::eek::eek: luckily it got caught in the flap:D. if any had to get sooked in, what sort of damage would it cause.
3. when I take the thb off, can I do it without taking off the neg batt terminal.
4. can you pull out the maf sensor from its housing. it looks as if the previous owners have tried it.

DSCF6872.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
the tb flap open is normal engine off, if a small amount has got sucked in it shouldn't do any harm as its only paper and will dissolve break up, although not recommending the method you used as the carbon cleaner could dissolve some of the build up of sludge in the intake manifold and this could have worse effects.

yes you could remove the tb with disconnecting the earth...........why though don't you want to do this ? as it does make the system 100% safe to work on

the maf sensor will not be simple to remove from the housing as its factory glues in, why beats me when other mafs have 2 screws holding it in place.............you need to use electrical contact cleaner on this (halford £3.99) use the straw to direct through the vents allow to fully dry before refitting

at the same time would remove the map as this will be gunked up but don't poke at it break crud away careful with match stick till you see sensor then use above to clean

don't forget the egr and any relevant pipe

normaly I would recommend disconnecting the battery whilst you do this work then reconnect and allow engine to idle 10-15min to relearn idle settings (now everything is clean)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you not remember what happening to me last week when I disconnected the battery on the sunday. I had to take my brothers car to work on the Monday because I couldn't get it started(the key wouldn't turn). running scared of my saab at the minute. cheers again kez. I might take the battery off. it will be your fault if I cant get it to start again. lol :D

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
I remember know lol.............didn't your father inlaw sort it

don't blame me lol cant afford the fuel from s/wales to Glasgow and back :D

in the past when working on cars that would loose radio code I would rig a 9v pp9 battery to the terminals before removing, today ive done a turret repair for someone which involved the battery off for 1-2hrs when finished and first put key in it wouldn't turn :eek: so removed it and put in again and left a few mins then it turned :D

keep us posted mate.............oh one tip don't do it tomorrow lol as sundays may be unlucky for your car

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DSCF6879.jpg DSCF6881.jpg DSCF6882.jpg DSCF6883.jpg sunday f**king sunday.

only kidding. took the throttle off today and gave it a good clean.
disconnected the battery and put it all together again and that's when the fun began.
got it eventually. car definetly running better.
got the timing belt and water pump and an oil change done on Friday.
as mentioned on a different post I was getting blue smoke after doing about 60 mph, thought it was down too much oil.

still getting it.:eek: if I switch the engine off and on again the smoke disappears.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
glad to hear :thumbsup:

next problem maybe worth taking a look at the breather system including the 1way valve.............no battery disconnection for this:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll do a bit of research on this. I think I will leave this for a Saturday, lol.:thumbsup:
cheers kez

ps, might be divorced by the time I finish this project,lol.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
any help give us a shout:)...............just don't let it esculate

yep and I know the feeling lol.............take her out for a nice meal ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
What's the purpose of a throttle body on a direct injection diesel anyway, since the combustion always works in excess of air? Would anything change if the throttle body flap was unscrewed and taken out? Just wondering..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could the dpf needing a regen cause the blue smoke. I haven't done any serious miles since I got the car. the most ive driven at any one time is 40 miles

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
no harm in getting it up to temp and going for a spin for 20-30mins keeping the revs above 2k, better doing in 5th gear and when roads at quietist so not to cancel out the regen

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took the car for a blow out this morning, blue smoke everywhere. since I have cleaned the tb,egr,map,maf my mpg hasn't got about 36. wtf.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
check the breather system is working correct before going in to deep !!

and are you sure there is not too much oil in it, maybe worth taking some out so its just above the min line and giving this a try bearing in mind it will still smoke initially.

remove the pipe from the turbo to IC check no access oil in/around turbo

these wont cost anything and easy doable at home

let us know how you go on............then take it from there whether its worth doing a compression test and looking at it more in depth

how many miles ?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
regards fuel prob just needs wait for it lol battery disconnect and then allow to idle 10mins to relearn idle settings and then go for an adaption run with your normal driving style..........you was gentle with the maf and maf

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the cars done 111k, I cleaned the map and maf with electrical contact cleaner. I cleaned the map first with carb cleaner then quickly realized my mistake and sprayed it with electrical cleaner. the map had recently been changed as the old one was in the boot when I bought it.
when I reconnected the battery the last time and when I finally got it started I done a celebratory rev. could this have fooked up the idle settings.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
doubtful mate but regardless wouldn't give you the smoke, compare the old map with the new one are they the same part numbers and the sticker/markings look the same.

mpg will come back, taking for a hard run to clear the dpf wouldn't help

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the maps are the same. forgot to mention mate if the car is left for any length of time the car struggles to start. it took me 3 attempts tonight coming home from work.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
lol try basics on this one first............ignition on wait for glow plug light to extinguish do this 2 or 3 times before trying to start..........is this any better ?

is the battery in a good state of charge ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i do get a slighty better result in the morning when i try about 2 times switching glow plugs on and off.(still chugs a good bit before it will start) i'll test the battery tomorrow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here are some pics. where do I check pcv stuff. DSCF6889.jpg DSCF6890.jpg

I put a maxiscan ms509 scanner and I got a p1900 $07e8 error code. the code doesn't exist.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts