Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spenty a couple of hours with a die grinder porting the throttle body casting, as detailed on Eric's site. Idle is now smoother and, unless I am imagining it, throttle response is a bit better too. A worthwhile and simple mod at a bargain price (sod all!)

Julian
1999 9-3SE LPT
Hirsch step 1
JR Air Filter
Forge BOV
Viggen Intercooler

·
Registered
563 Posts
Didn't expect much from the modification, but the difference is really noticable.
It's one of the few cheap improvements, such as removing the turbo silencer (only for non-Viggen intercoolers).

Maarten
1995 900SET
Hirsch step 1
K&N Air Filter
Forge BOV
Viggen Intercooler
etc.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yes, it is a well worth while mod. I am now starting to guess that the intake pipe leading to the turbocharger itself is probably just as bad as the throttle body transition piece. I might just go take a look and see if it needs to be done also.

Have fun!

Eric Burr
1999 9-3

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by blue99turbo:
[qb]I am now starting to guess that the intake pipe leading to the turbocharger itself is probably just as bad as the throttle body transition piece.[/qb][/b]
The lip on the aluminum intake pipe just before the turbo is not restrictive. The pipe is only ~2mm thick so the lip is small. A larger restriction is the black accordion pipe between the air box and the turbo, the internal folds create turbulence. I would like to replace that pipe with a smooth funnel. Abbott has this upgrade for the 9-3 but it is over priced and will only fit a 9-3.

Eric

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Now that I actually went out to my car and looked I see what you mean, ERP. However, there is a lip on the hose that matches the pipe so the pipe doesn't matter. As far as the hose is concerned, I don't think the accordion part does much to the actual airflow since the folds are in the bends which air gets turbulent in anyways. So I guess there wouldn't be much to improve on anyways.

As far as the Abbott intake pipe goes, it is for T7 cars only. The idea behind that pipe is actually the much larger diameter over the stock pipe going to the turbo.

And yes, Eric, geez, three of us in a row , perhaps something can be done with a silicone hose, but then a solution for hooking up the crankcase breather tube would have to be made.

Just some thoughts about this stuff.

Have fun!

Eric Burr

·
Registered
136 Posts
Eric's of the Saab world unite!

In regards to the crankcase breather I have seen a solution to this before. On the T3/T4 900 SE the guy just put a small crankcase breather filter over the exit and got rid of the tubing connected to the intake. It was cheap and it worked well, I plan on doing the same when I upgrade my turbo.

Eric

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Problem for me is that I have to worry about my car getting inspected. Venting crank case to atmosphere is illegal. You are potentially blowing oil into the air as opposed to having it go into the engine and getting burned off.

Eric Burr

·
Registered
374 Posts
i just finished grinding down the "lip" that eric talked about, it realy does make a differance, i didnt expect to notice it so much!! great ideas!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts