Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just taken my 96 cde eco out for a good thrash (first time in the 3 weeks i've owned it) i have returned with 2 questions.
How hot should it be getting - fails to get higher that 1/4 of the way up the gauge, seems a bit low??
Can these cars handle or is it a fictional truth i've heard going around? mines a little squishy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unless the gauge is faulty, you need a new thermostat. Start the car from cold, let it idle and feel the hose after the thermostat. If it gets warm slowly, your thermostat is stuck open.

Hope this helps

Harry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was wondering that yet the heater blows out hot air and the rad fan kicks in and out quite happily with the gauge at about a 1/4.
Has anyone heard of or had the temp sender die on them?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
My gauge rests at about 8 'o' clock when warm [edit: which is normal for 9000s]: does that +/- correspond to your quarter?

And yes 9000s really can handle but of course that depends on the condition of your shocks, bushes and springs. If shocks and springs &c are OK you can tighten things up a lot for not much dosh with poly bushes (I'd suggest the rear anti roll bar ones first)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers SteveN - Yes had 2 find a clock to look at then but it sits between 8 and 9 oclock. Thats good 2 know was ready to go rip things apart

Abbout seem expensive for poly bush kits anyone able 2 recommend a cheaper supplier or do i have 2 bite the bullet

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Abbott's upper torque arm bushes and transmission mount bushes are pretty competitively priced (their wishbone bushes less so). Off hand I can't remember if they do anti roll bar bushes: I got mine from Elkparts and IIRC the rears were about a tenner the pair.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
'96-on cars have a "placebo" temperature gauge that only goes above about 8 o'clock once it starts to get distressed so as not to worry the driver.

If it helps, my tuned 300hp '96 Aero never goes much higher than that even after extended thrashing around the track. My '95 CSE 2.0LPT with a real temperature gauge still never went beyond 9 o'clock on its thrash round Goodwood.

Yes, they do handle, although the CD/CDE had rather softer suspension than other 9000s for that luxury ride. Probably worth replacing the control arm bushes as these wear and make the steering and handling a bit vague. If the car seems "floaty" at speed, this is probably the problem.

Change them for standard rubber ones before you decide you need poly bushes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Billj! I had thought the suspension felt a little vague at any kind of speed at all but just attributed that to age and mileage! I didn't realize that anyone would Deliberatly do that to Any car!! It should be a crime to take a perfectly good suspension and wallow it out for a "luxury ride" What a croc!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It shouldn't feel vague, Griffin, just soft. I'd look at those control arm (wishbone) bushes. On just aout any 9000 you'll come across, they will be worn unless a previous owner has changed them (which is unlikely). How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
'96-on cars have a "placebo" temperature gauge that only goes above about 8 o'clock once it starts to get distressed so as not to worry the driver.  [/b]
Thanks for that Bill - learn something new every day. I knew there was something different between my old Carly and my current 2.3T CSE's when it came to running temp but didnt know why.
One of the CSE's was running only just above blue when I first got it but a little clean off the connector soon had it round the 8 O'clock position.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Anton,

the "rad fan kicking in and out" may be caused by the aircon, rather than the coolant temperature. The aircon typically turns that fan on for much shorter periods than coolant does (less mass in the system and less differential in the switch).

Turn the aircon off and you'll notice the difference.

And I agree with Bill, the first things to change are the wishbone bushes. A big improvement on their own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks both 2 mark B and BillJ.
I took the bus out this morning to take the better half 2 work and the difference without the acc on is very noticable. So thats my mind at rest.
On the floatyness feeling i've looked at all the bushes on the front and most seem quite worn so i'll start saving. Has anyone covered doing the bushes before - if not i'll get my digi cam ready!!

Thanks again guys gotta go fix scirocco now - Volkswagons learn 2 hate them!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts