Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a 9000 CD Griffin Automatic (2.3 FPT) as a courtesy car over the last few days.

This car was a 1993 'L' reg, and 2 years newer than my old Carlsson, though the first thing that struck me was how old the design of the car looked. It looked very boxy and angular. The boot was huge, and unlike my Passat, you could get decent sized stuff into it!

The car was very swift, though the speed at which kickdown occured (or lack of it) was quite disconcerting - found I had to time some overtaking maneouvers to the delayed kickdown. I know you can manually drop down to a lower gear, though this for me defeats the object of having an Auto in the first place. Not having a "sports" option on the auto box on the 9000 is disappointing too, as it seemed too eager to change up.

Despite this, the mpg was truly aweful - I reset the computer when I first got the car, and averaged 21.4mpg
I thought my old 2.3 Carlsson was bad, which averaged 26 - 27 mpg during my ownership - and that was always driven enthusiastically.

I couldn't use the power anywhere near a bend, as I'd be off in a hedge

A manual 9000 now sounds more enticing - an Auto is nice, but I just could not live with that aweful economy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
My wife has just handed me back my standard 2.0 CSE LPT after 2 weeks she managed to get the mpg down to 24.8.
She denies going above 80mph and doesn't think she thrashed it. She did also left me to put 59litres of unleaded into it, but thats women for you....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've noticed immensley variable mileage on the Viggen. It will go as low as 21-22 with lots of enthusiastic around town driving, but has gotten as high as 28 with that same behavior. On the highway it gets about 30 with a little 'round town mixed in, but has been seen as high as 35. I'm not sure why it varies so much ...

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Kev

Saabkats 2.3FPT Auto (MY92) drops to about 19mpg round town - that using it to commute to and from work (about 5 miles a day). On the Motorway (if I take it to work) I can get it upto about 31-33.

The kickdown on it was not the best when we got it but the local garage tweaked it when it went in for a service (and I hadn't even mentioned it to them) ... now all I need to do is blip the pedal, the box shifts dowm, the revs go up and the TCS light comes on and slaps me on the wrists

Steve

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I get a steady 34mpg from my 1996 Aero manual on my regular 25 mile commute but can get it down to 30mpg with lots of town driving. Booting it at ***mph across france got me down to about 27mpg but that's about the lowest I have seen.
Taking out the heatplate on the inlet manifold gave me an extra 1-2mpg and Optimax also helps. i was very impressed with the mpg as I had expected much less given the size/weight of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts