Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when you thought that maybe some dealer parts for 9000s were getting sensible... whilst doing various other bits last weekend, I had the rubber elbow that connects the output of the intercooler to the throttle body off and noticed a couple of splits in it- no doubt about to give way soon under 1.7bar of boost. So, I note the part number, and ring up a dealer. Wait for it...

£108 plus VAT!!! I laughed...

Time to call a few second hand dealers methinks...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly not- the biggest reducing elbow they stock is 76-63, where I think I need more in the range of 90-55. The only way I coudl do it is with an elbow, a coupler and straight reducer, by which time it would bee too long

Not to worry tho, my regular garage just happen to be breaking a 2.3 at the mo

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
It's totally crazy.

I had to buy a complete exhaust for the Carly, albeit in two stages. The dealer's Saab supplied parts were actually CHEAPER than the compatible units sold by the local tyre and exhaust places (mentioning no names). So guess which one I bought!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea sgould, but it's not
. There's two hefty splits from the outside that have gone through to the webbing. If you've ever watched the thing expand on a dyno as the boost builds
, you'll know why I want to make sure it's completely OK...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
In my day job I work with pipes that go up to 25 bar, although 10 bar is more usual. We use superglue to stick the "rubber" flange gaskets etc. on and it works really well. I would expect a patch with this adhesive to even stick to the outside of your tube if you're worried about the patch coming off and being sucked (blown? ) into the engine. Alternatively how about cutting out the length with the split and inserting a short length of tube held with two jubillee clips?

Final thought: If you've upped the pressure such that the tube is expanding this will be losing you energy. Fabricate a metal tapered bend and use two short lengths of rubber at each end to connect it (or is this what you said in your second post above? )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts