Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Saturday I took the Scaero to the pit, plan was a couple of hours R&R on the exhaust.

I started by checking that the 3 turbo flange nuts and the lambda sensor would slacken. They did so I then started at the rear and removed the old exhaust, 20 minutes work.

Then I got to removing the down pipe, lambda out and safely stowed (over behind the lower rad hose ) then off with 2 of the 13mm turbo flange nuts (5 mins)...

Then the 3rd nut... Half a turn more and siezed.. Its Not 13mm, not 12mm, but 11mm open ended (11mm ring to small )

3hrs later and douzens of metric and imperial spanners, rackets, rings or combos and I finally went out and bought an nut cracker. 4 goes later with that and success!

Tighted turbo studs and 45 mins later and all is fitted (after a convaluted path of raising the new downpipe up to the turbo). Contortionists are us.

A fun Saturday and only several cuts...

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Cosmic Blue 9-5:
[qb]Andrew what are your first impressions? Hows it sound? Better response?    [/qb][/b]
First impressions? it's bally heavy!
Sounds lovely, at tickover it's not loud, but does have a presence above this it a little louder, but not much.

Response is good, off boost and low revs the car picks up almost instantly, below 3000rpm at boost it doesn't feel much quicker though. Above 3500rpm, full boost
. I've only had chances to get it up to about 4500-5000rpm, but it's flowing very well by then

Around 1500-2000rpm and at -3 to +3 boost, you can now hear the turbo whistle a little in the car, but not too much.

I've only done about 150 miles since last night, but I'm hooked - nice sound, nice response.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Saabman:
[qb]What size is that Andrew 2 1/2" ? and what is the cat, sport? is it a JT system? Looks good anyway and I bet it sounds    :fawlty:        [/qb][/b]
Saabman,

Yes it's the Full 3" JT system with Sport cat. I've also bought a 2m length of 3" weld in lorry exhaust (£14.50) which I an having sleaved to swap the sport cat out for track days etc (it's 92cm long). Didn't go the race cat such as yourself

Sounds lovely, and nice sound at idle (gentle burble), no boy racer noises thank god, but I have listened to a few before to know what it sounded like.

As I said abovre, you can now hear the turbo whistle during low/no boost and below 2000rpm.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I was thinking about this exhaust myself and noise is my only concern. I like the idea of a nice burble at idle and dont mind noise when putting in the boot. What I dont want is any more noise when say cruising at 85-90 in 5th, 3+k rpm(although a bit of turbo whistle doesn't sound too bad). I'll also probably keep the standard Cat to begin with (plan A)
Also - did you need to adjust the base boost to compensate for the free-er flow?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Faero,
Forget the standard Cat if you've got a later 96/97 Aero with the cat in downpipe. The biggest difference made is by the downpipe rather than the exhaust, so best option by far is the complete lot with sport cat, I've had this on my Aero for 4 months now, and only noticed a very minor increase in cruising speed noise level, not really significant at all.

Mark,
JT system is available from Elkparts, downpipe + sport cat + full system + VAT + postage was a little over £500.
http://www.elkparts.com

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yeah - just having a rummage throught various bits of info. and as I have the '96 Aero, I'll have the cat on the downpipe - Makes sense to do the whole lotas you suggest. As for the noise levels, it doesn't sound like it'll be an issue (excuse pun). Better start saving..
Any ideas what the power gain is ? (I have IPT airfilter and heatplate removed so guess I may be at 235bhp tops). It does seem to be a response/drivablility improvement more than an out and out power increase judging from the general chat.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
With standard ECU I reckon on about +8-10hp with the JT system. The main point is the downpipe will help keep EGT's down, which will allow the max. benefit from a remapped ECU which you'll want to fit later....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thats not bad at all - I think I'll have a look under the car tonight and check for corrosion on the current standard system...it might just be on its last legs-I need an excuse. There's a slim chance I could hit 250bhp pre-chip (I know its slim!)
Thanks to the excellent pics from Scaero - really shows the difference between the downpipes...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also - did you need to adjust the base boost to compensate for the free-er flow?  [/b]
Faero,

My base boost was a little high on the old (8.5psi) as my only adjustment was via packing washers.

With the new pipe on it's dropped to 7psi (within the recommended zone).

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts