Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Try this link.

Looks like a nice car, if it is as described. I'd be wary of the condition of the Auto box maybe at that mileage, but it should be fairly easy to tell if there are any problems. Also there are a lot of electrics on it, so you'd need to make sure it was all working, especially the ACC. Obviously the timing chain might be an issue too if it hasn't been replaced.

Generally these cars go on for ever if well serviced - and go wrong if not

Have you looked at the buyers' guide on Bill J's site? Select "Saab 9000" from the drop-down in the top right of this page, and you'll find it there.

I would say £500-600 is a reasonable price for the car (if it all checks out) - you wouldn't really want to pay much more than that IMO.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The link may not work, but if you copy and paste it into your browser it does.

Here it is again;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...gory=18263&rd=1

The thing that concerns me the most is the automatic gearbox. The mileage isn't too high, at 127k but it's 14 years old. I wouldn't want to pay any more than it's currently on.

You would need to ask when the gearbox fluid and filter were last changed. Check the colour of the fluid and smell the auto dipstick to check there is no burnt smell.

Take it for a test drive and make sure that it engages the gears without delay and that the gear changes are smooth. Try kick-down at say, 50mph and make sure there isn't a big knock from the engine bay.

Another thing to check, is that the electrical items work OK. fixes faulty items can be expensice.

Toby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Emailed the seller & he says it has a full saab service history up until 2000. Then he did the lot himself. Said he used fully synthetic oil & changed it every 4000 miles.
Anyway, gonna go and have a look. Will report back!
Cheers folks

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Check the history to see if the timing chain has been done. This is £500 upwards to get sorted if it goes.

Check bottom of doors, arches, tailgate, and the boot for rust.

9000's are prone to engine mounts going.

As someone said, check the electrics - often go wrong and can be expensive to fix. However the computer display not working can just be bulbs behind the dash.

Check for blue smoke when flooring it.

Check around the head for signs of head gasket problems.

Test the internal heater out too - heater matrix problems (steaming up, and leaks into cabin), and rheostat(?) where the fan works only on setting 4 are common.

For that money check all the obvious stuff like tyres / exhaust etc. Could make all the difference.

Not sure what an Auto should boost like, but my old Carlsson went well into the red. Would have thought it should get well into the hashed orange bit on the boost gauge.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Forgot to say - make sure you check the sunroof operation fully. I've looked at a few where the sunroof sticks or doesn't open at all.

SLam the anchors on to check the ABS.

Check all levels (especialy auto box oil), and condition of the engine / gearbox oil. Check for leaks.

You'll probably get some sagging on the headlining - very common on most Saabs. Headlining can be bought for a DIY fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been round to see the beast. Seems ok to the untrained eye. No obvious smoke on hard acceleration & shifts up & down smoothly. Bit of lining sag at the rear but nought major.
Timing chain or gasket have not been done. Should this worry me? Idled normally - no rattling that i could hear.
Plus the elecs were fine. AC could do with a recharge but thats about it!
Think i'll tag this one - unless some other bloke outbids me!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Timing chain or gasket have not been done. Should this worry me?[/b]
My old 9000i (2.0 non-turbo) had the head gasket blow & fixed at 145000, no further problems up to 200,000 when I sold it. Also, timing chain & gear were still original at that point - but pretty rattly! Oil only got changed at 12000 intervals despite good intentions.....looking after the replacement 2.3 eco much more!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Usually the timing chain will give a lot of notice with excess rattling thousands of miles before it finally goes.

Not necessarily something to worry about, but always comforting to know that someone else has paid the bills to fix it!

My 9000 Carlsson (2.3) had had the timing chain done (I think), but it was also on it's third gearbox
at 160,000 miles. I would have thought a 2.3T Auto would have had a quieter, gentler life!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts