Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to squeeze some more stuff into the engine
compartment and I need to free up as much space as I can

I have found fans which will save me an inch on the standard fan from Pacet /Kenlowe
but I have seen stuff in the us thats 2 " thick

but nothing here...

anybody know any different .....???

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The curved blade fans from Kenlowe are much more efficient than the old standard Saab fan design. So will get the same amount of air flow from a smaller unit. And don't forget that you can mount the fan in front of the a/c, intercooler, radiator combo rather than behind, assuming that there's enough room.

P.S. Having just looked at their website, Kenlowe's fan's are thinner in "blower" spec than in "suction" spec. The 10" fan is only 1.8" thick and the 13" fan is only 2.6" thick. As they make a high power as well as standard 13" fan (265W and 115W), surely that would be powerful enough. If you use a blower fan, you could also remove the standard cowling/ducting from the engine side of the radiator, improving cooling further.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a look at mounting it in the front and the bumper girder gets in the way iirc
but in saying that there might be space for a 2 inch blower
(I have tucked the horns into the space so probably there is just 2 " to spare ..)

I will check it out tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
With the old 'area of smaller cirles theory', what about 2 smaller blower fans side by side infront..???

IIRC this was a popular mod on 427 Cobras in the hotter parts of the USA, many years back.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]bet they are more expensive... [/qb][/b]
And if you check out the flow rates given on Kenlowe's site through a 3 rad set up, the 10" fan is rated at 355 cubic metres per hour as opposed to the 13" standard power fan at 958 and the 13" high power fan at 1756.

One big fan is always going to be better as the average (or effective) blade speed is higher due to the greater radius.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I need to squeeze some more stuff into the engine
compartment and I need to free up as much space as I can[/b]
I'll be looking at moving the intercooler and radiator as far forward as possible. will check it out when I fit my intercooler!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts