Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a topic on ACC II performance and someone had posted a reply that said that the thermostat closed off the flow through the heater matrix if the engine got too hot, the symptom being that the heating went cold. Please would someone confirm that this is correct, and what may cause it to happen on my car everytime I slow down after running at speed for more than 30 minutes, for example when driving through town, but then the temperature goes back up when speeding back up again. Putting the ACCII on HI makes no difference, and both the top and bottom heater hoses stay hot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fan appears to work correctly, but only has the fuse and relay for single speed. There are simply spaces in the fusebox labelled for hi-speed fan.. Should a 98MY 2.3FPT have these?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My 94 car and a friends 93 car have two speed fans. I believe that most FPTs (at least) have two speed fans. If there are three wires to the fan, and a big shiny ballast resistor somewhere in the air flow, then it's a two speed fan. I think most have two relays to match.

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I understood (looking at Townsend Imports web site) only cars for hotter climates had two speed fans. I understand from the Saab parts CD-Rom that certain later models with air-con may have had two speed. Can't say whether these were all FPT's.
Slow for cooling the air-con condenser and high for cooling the engine. If you have three wires off the rad switch (black, blue/white and blue/red) you have dual speed. Most cars are fitted with just a two wire switch, although the wiring is built in the loom for three.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just coming back to the thermostat question...
I got a thermostat from the local Saab Dealer who supplied me with the generic one (87 or 89?)rather than an 82C one. I was told that this is standard fit to all turbos including Aero's and Carlssons.
Does anyone know if this makes a difference to performance in a 2.3FPT Carlsson and should I be taking it back for an 82?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.