Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loooking at an on-line saab part retailer, they have two different temperature thermostats for 9000's. One is 82oC and the other is 89oC. My aero is currently running permanently in the bluezone so I guess the thermostat is most likely stuck shut, but which of these two should I be using? 82oC or 89oC ?

Thanks
Kev

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem one moth ago. When I bought my Aero, the temp rises very slowly and cooler was warm just a while after engine start. I let to change thermostat (89 C) and it goes well now. The trouble with temp gauge needle is quite common on Aeros (as I've been told by my dealer) He connected Tech II to my car and ran the temp sensor simulating program. To aprox. 95 degrees it stayed just above the blue zone and on 105 C it jumped beneath the red zone...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
- I'm sure i read a link somewhere that the temp guage does not directly map the temperature - its a kind of pseudo guide to the temp. It will sit at just below midway until things get really hot. Then it will shoot up to the red. (I guess the idea is to save you worrying unless there really is a problem??)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gauge needle sits in or at the top of the blue zone during normal driving, will rise to about half-too-three quarters when stationary in traffic, and the radiator fan comes on when at about three-quarters of the way up. The rise is steady...not jerking up as it might do if the gauge was sticking. It never gets near red, but since it does rise to halfway or more and the radiator fan comes on about where I expect it to (about 3/4) then I assume the gauge is fine, but that the thermostat is faulty.
Kev

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]- I'm sure i read a link somewhere that the temp guage does not directly map the temperature - its a kind of pseudo guide to the temp.  ??) [/qb][/b]
Depends on the year. Early cars have a real temp gauge, later cars have the placebo gauge function. The change was about 1995 if my memory serves. Sounds like Kevster has the earlier type.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The heater in my cse takes longer to heat up than my cc and never seems to be as hot, both sit just above the blue in normal use, so which thermostat should i use in the cse, the 82oc or the 89oc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts