Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the big question, what SAAB model is is the Ultimate performance SAAB?

900 AERO
9000 AERO
9-5 AERO
9-3 AERO
9-3 Viggen

I am thinking in terms of tuning potential, handeling etc..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
In terms of raw power: anything with a Trionic-controlled 2.3 Turbo engine.

In terms of handling: Classic 900T16 or 9-3 Sports Saloon.

Probably the best compromise set against purchase price now: 9000 Aero.

All IMHO, but not entirely unqualified...

edited to say - this is exactly what we'll be trying to establish at The European Viking Challenge! Until then most of the discussion will be merely speculative..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
<---- *points at avatar*

Can it have "performance looks"? That particular Viggen did dyno pretty high. As did at least one other in the states. Could qualify it as highest powered stock Saab engine to date? Perhaps ...

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]<---- *points at avatar*

Can it have "performance looks"?        That particular Viggen did dyno pretty high.  As did at least one other in the states.  Could qualify it as highest powered stock Saab engine to date?  Perhaps ...

Cheers,
Dubbya [/qb][/b]
That one? Over here we only take it as an example when we have to explain the meaning of 'torque steer' to the uninitiated...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That one? Over here we only take it as an example when we have to explain the meaning of 'torque steer' to the uninitiated... --- EVS

You say that like it's a BAD thing!

Cheers,
Dubbya Torque steer is my coffee

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Depends how close the hedge, tree or lamp post lining the road is...

Our roads likely being a bit narrower than those in Southern California, mind you...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
EVS got most of it about right... Definitely any Trionic 9000 2.3T for sheer grunt. After all, the Maptun boys are running them up to 500hp+
Annoyingly the best engine mechanically is the 91-93 B234 but the best engine managament is the 94- B234. Sadly the two aren't interchangeable.

Handling wise I'm not sure... I've not had the opportunity to try a "sorted" C900 but today I did get to give the Abbott 9-3SS a spin round the country lanes. Very nice and quite go-cartish and very chuckable but ultimately I would say my 9000 steering is more communicative and it has the edge on grip as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb]Depends how close the hedge, tree or lamp post lining the road is...    

Our roads likely being a bit narrower than those in Southern California, mind you... [/qb][/b]
I'm not the best driver in the world, far from that, but even I proved it's possible to drive a 9-3 Maptun stage 5 (quite a bit more powefull than a Viggen) at WOT overhere in the lowlands. Torquesteer is not a problem, it is fun .

If you can't even handle a Viggen, it's about time to take some driving lessons again .
It's generally known a powerfull 9-3 has some torquesteer, but don't blow it up to mythical proportions.

I agree with Adrian W that the Viggen has the best performance looks. Looks are very subjective though.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
*coughs* Not to get off subject here buuuut

"I'm not the best driver in the world, far from that, but even I proved it's possible to drive a 9-3 Maptun stage 5 (quite a bit more powefull than a Viggen)" --- Maarten

My car has estimated crank figures of ~250-260 hp, and about 295-305 lb ft (400-414 NM) ... annnnd ... the published figures for a MapTun Stage 5 (205 hp stock) 9-3 areeee ... "Effect 305 Hp/390 Nm" ...

Quite a bit more hp, but a little less torque. And they call it "torque steer" for a reason. But now you know what it feels like to drive my car in mid range, and something quite a bit more fun than my car at top end!
FUN!

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good thing I live in the land of straight roads and more sidewalk than I know what to do with.

Actually recently I had a near run-in with sliding off a road! But that wasn't torque steer ... gave it gas too soon and the inside tire broke loose!
Let off the gas quickly and the car then proceeded to OVER-steer! But corrected that quickly.

Viggen can be unstable.
But it's remarkably quick to correct compared to my C900 which would pretty well keep oversteering unless you mashed the GO-pedal down.

I think the torque steer is more a problem because of the electronic throttle which gives the car a little more go than you want it to right away. Perhaps the tuners have found a way to "soften the blow" ... but as a stock car it can be a bit tricky ...

Moral of the story? Buy a Viggen and move to the US.

Dubbya

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Definitely any Trionic 9000 2.3T for sheer grunt.[/b]
Scratch the Trionic!! The DI/LH/APC 2.3's FEEL quicker IM(Very)HO, I don't think I'm being overtly biased in saying that, there are others who have said much the same here in the past. Of course I appreciate that the Trionic is far more upgradeable and ultimately has potential for more horses without having to resort to an MBC.

I think most people would agree that HAD the c900 continued for a few more years and HAD Saab found a way to shoehorn the 2.3T into it there would be no need for this discussion.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
mr torque steer said ...
Scratch the Trionic!! The DI/LH/APC 2.3's FEEL quicker IM(Very)HO, I don't think I'm being overtly biased in saying that, there are others who have said much the same here in the past. Of course I appreciate that the Trionic is far more upgradeable and ultimately has potential for more horses without having to resort to an MBC.  [/b]
I would have to agree for a standard car..my carlsson has a very aggressive power spool up but then kind of runs out of puff.
(small turbo with big horspower) the aero was sloww off the mark in a kind of lazy way till the boost kicked in...(big turbo with same horsepower)
so the response of a di/apc car has to be more aggressive and feels it
however it allows the trionic to be "footered" with to a larger degree

1 - 20 of 56 Posts