Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up to the SOC Annual I gave my 9000 (MY '91) its annual extreme care session yesterday: thorough wash, polish, colour polish, top-coat seal, plus Armorall etc. Whilst doing this I had to finally admit to myself that the rust fairy's spell was taking hold. There are several small speckles on one front wing, a couple on a rear wing, one or two other isolated ones and a 6" ridge of rust along the bottom of one door. In addition there are signs of rust around the windscreen. The question is, what to do now?

I haven't the time or facilities to make a good (ie perfect) job of tackling this myself, and if I sent it to a body shop I might want them to respray the bonnet as well because of the accumulation of pitting (all touched up and no sign of rust). And if they were doing the bonnet I'd probably ask them to do the roof becasue of some crackles that are appearing in the paintwork there.

The car cost £4,500 four and a half years ago, I've installed LPG (which has since more than paid for itself) put in a replacement engine, recon gearbox, new turbo, and Abbotised various bits and pieces. I'd still rather like to get my money's worth out of these "investments".

So what to do now? The car will still look pretty good if I do nothing to it for the next 12 months, but the rust fairy's grip will tighten. If I got some localised work done on it how likely am I to see new spots appearing a few months later? Would a complete rub-down, rust-treat and respray be worth the investment? Or should I just call it quits and sell it while it still looks damn good, and invest in a newer Aero or similar?

As those who've seen it will testify, its a smart looking car and drives very well.

What thoughts?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Once it's started it will continue. If it's there on one door it will probably be nearly there on the others. I've had many an old car over the years and I would say sell it now.

If you want a high performance LPG car - Leon keeps taking test drives on bigger and better things

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got a VW Golf resprayed once to bring it back from small amounts of rust dotted about. 2/3 years later it was all back, won't bother again as its not worth it. Sell it on while you can and spend the respray money plus the money you get on a rust free replacement. Make sure the new car can use the LPG kit or most of it and transferit, you won't lose much on the sale.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Bunsen,

Hasn't it done about 250,000m?

If so, I'd keep it until it falls apart. You wouldn't see much money in a trade in or selling privatly unless someone know what the car was.

You should be able to keep the tin worm at bay for a few years yet with a mild touch up, although i do seem to remember you car was rather shiney/mirror like last year.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Rust can be killed and kept at bay without too much trouble,Finnigans waxoil is the stuff you need,dirty job to apply and it needs doing once a year.I have a friend with an ancient Volks beetle,with nary a sign of rust.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
bunsen ...I am afraid I have to agree with scareo
I have heard reports re the bunsen mobile being in the high shine end of the spectrum but I think its days of concours is over
you can spend a hell of a lot of money fixing rust but only keep it at bay for a few years
Mine will be there as well in a couple of years
I will do a remedial touch up (bodge) this year but it could really do with the works..
the passenger side wheel arch looks as if it has been sand blasted !! I am at 185 k now and I should get a few more years before I turn it in to a track day car !!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm. A track day car, eh? Hadn't thought of that. It's got 268,000 miles on the clock, but the engine has only got about 150k on it, and the gearbox is refurbished, and the turbo was new 40k miles ago or so. So there should definately be life in the old thing yet. If I start saving now, the car should keep going and looking not bad for a year or so yet, and then I'll maybe find it easier to make a decision.

I'll get some more views over the weekend at Newark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.