Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by making it clear that this is in no way a critisism of anyone in particular, but a genuine research into "Need for more Power". So that's the disclaaimer out of the way .

I cannot help to notice that many of us have been upgrading our car performance to get more BHP and torque. But in some cases, the performance enhancements are purely academic to say the least. Except for the ocassional trip to a race track, daily "normal" driving is unlikely to require much of any added power.

Away from the power game, another set of owners are after something slightly or completely different. I noticed for instance some write-up from Eric Van De Spelde on FORGE BPC valves (which I found very interesting), chats about Manual Boost Controllers, and methods to control torque steer ( a subject I'll come back to at some stage).

I myself got more than enough
under the bonnet. So much so that I have been reduced to driving with extreme patience (thus like a grandad on a Sunday ), where before I could go to town on the accelerator. So when I had my ECU re-mapped, I made changes to reduce turbo lag, and improve the engine response below 2000RPM. Those were the things that were getting on my nerves with the "standard" car.
But adding wider tyres has now lumbered me with tramlining and complaining about uneven roads.

I am very much interested to find out what caused you to make power increases to your car (if you have done so!), and whether the power increase did address your initial dissatisfactions, and/or added you with more headaches .

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
OK, as one of the members who probably qualifies as more guilty than most on this, I'll start.

It's basically down to this. The feeling of
... Being hit in the back as you put you foot down... taming the wild beast... knowing that you've got the power but dont't have to floor it to go anywhere

Or to sum up, and overall increase in driving pleasure. Even if I didn't partake in track days, I would still continue... I'm busy weighing up how to split my budget between track days and further mods. I calculate my typical track day costs like this:

Track fee £160
Fuel £80 (incl getting there and back)
Insurance £60
Overnight accomm £40
Tyre & Brake pad/disc wear £150

That's a total of about £500 each time
- or put another way, if I do 2 track days less I can afford a gas flowed head.

But getting back to the road... some folk will say I've taken my car too far to be comfortable as an every day car. They might be right, but I like it (I spend at least 60 miles/2 hours commuting daily). Indeed when I drive other cars I find it takes me a while to become accustomed to the lack of confidence they have by comparison.

And I do use all my mods on the road- the suspension etc for the confidence in handling. The power/torque for effortless overtaking- how much nicer is it to overtake another vehicle in a swift move with
feeling than to have to feel like you're pushing the car past.

And it's a bit like a bug- once you improve one thing, you're curious to see how much better you can make it- rather like hifi for example I suppose.

A quick summary :
93 9000CS2.3T: Maptun stage 5 ECU, injectors, Hybrid roller bearing turbo, Abbott intercooler; water injection, ITG foam filter, JT 3" downpipe/Abbott SS exhaust, cat bypass, LSD, 17" wheels, AP brakes, Koni shocks. Expected power/torque circa 350hp/380lbft.

The downsides are a deterioration in ride comfort and, when enjoyed, an increase in fuel consumption.

But I personally don't really notice the first and the second is my choice...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
It's always been a selfish thing with me..I want my car to feel the way I want it to. Hence modification to my driving style and preferences.

I like a car that's capable, sure footed, positive, comfortable and tactile. Not woolly, ambiguous and limp wristed.

I've always approached modification from a holistic point of view, if I have to increase the power, then I modify chassis, braking etc to compensate.

Some cars I've hardly had to modify to be perfect to my 'ideal' (VW Corrado VR6, Porsche 911) and some have required extensive modification (Saab 9-3, Saab 9000, VW Golf MK2 & MK3, Impreza Turbo)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
For me it is to improve the overall driving experience of the car as well as making it more of something of my own. I do use all of my mods on pretty much a daily basis. I live in Germany, so the power gets used out on the autobahn all of the time, and the handling gets used out there as well as the back roads. Effortless passing/overtaking and just as effortless handling when the road gets twisty makes the driving that much more relaxed and enjoyable for me.

And then there is the case that I think most of us are in, more power just never seems to be enough!

·
Registered
613 Posts
For me, it all began with a general dissatisfaction with the standard 185bhp of my 9-3. However, I put up with that for a bit and turned my attention to the chassis/suspension. But when the car handled so nicely, I knew it could take more power easily in stride, and let's face it, more power = So I started small (forge BPV, intake/filter, and MBC). That soon wasn't enough, though, so along came the Speedparts Stage 2. Love the extra power, use it daily when I drive (even when I perhaps shouldn't
), and like a drug -- I again want more! So next up are a Viggen IC, DP&RC, then probably water injection (just to keep the engine happy with me). And of course, as cash allows, my power mods (in addition to some other aesthetic mods to personalize it) will continue because I like to look at my car as a never-ending project. I'd get horribly bored if I ever considered the car "done." And of course, adding more power gives me a reason to upgrade the brakes, transmission, etc -- each new thing feeds other new areas of improvement.

That, and every extra HP brings me that much closer to kicking the teeth out of an M3 driver's smug grin....

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Mark E said
Track fee £160
Fuel £80 (incl getting there and back)
Insurance £60
Overnight accomm £40
Tyre & Brake pad/disc wear £150[/b]
Is that specific insurance for the track time? Who does it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]Is that specific insurance for the track time?  Who does it?

Thanks. [/qb][/b]
It's an extension of my normal road policy that I have with Greenlight. Basically I ring them up, tell them the date, they charge me per day and send me a cover note. Excess goes up to £600.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts