Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my 'have I bought a lemon' thread, it's booked in next week to have the GT17 replaced with a TD04, followed by a suitable noob remap. I've done the silicon vacuum lines already (although only about half as many as I expected to see on my 2004/5 9-5). I've ordered the turbo and fitting kit, the oil and coolant lines and a full set of new breather pipes from neobrothers. The garage is dropping the sump too, so hopefully that's all the potential turbo/pcv side issues taken care of. I intend to keep this for a while so I may as well do it properly, the end cost will still be less than a similarly aged Audi A4 TFSi would have been.

Assuming that all works, I wonder what will go wrong next?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm... I'm just thinking, I haven't really seen any mention of the neobrothers 'alternative' turbos on the forums. I know genuine is 'good' and Chinese cheapos are 'bad' but this is somewhere in the middle. I think.

Anybody had one on their car? How long for? Any good or bad tales to tell? Any private messages will be treated with the strictest confidence!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
there are some good chinese turbos out there, i know some tuners who use them for reasonable power but it is a bit of a lottery regarding quality so you pays your money ahd takes your chance.

I seem to remember this being covered off on your last post re turbo failure but may be wrong :)

If you can live with the car off the road for a week get your rebuilt or exchange it for a recon from a reputable company.

The td04 is a very old design now but a good turbo, genuine ones built by Mitsubishi i believe.

Neo's have a good rep on the whole, some people have had bad experiences with them. if its a new turbo you are getting then you will l get std consumer rights assuming its fitted by professionals/properly.

as i said previously ensure whoever does the work flushes the system through from intercooler to turbo to remove any crud or metal - this step often skipped and the 'new' turbo failure ensues......

Re Noob Map, Karl mapped my aero and it is a brilliant map, could not be more pleased. just make sure your clutch is up to it if original or you will be changing that too!

DIY rebuilds are possible with some mechanical expertise, they are simple enough in design and operation. the trick is the balance of the blades given they spin at 100,000rpm or more being in balance is critical! this is best left to someone who knows what they are doing and has the right kit to do it. a basic inspection of a turbo may well show scoring inside the housing and worn/chipped blades, if this is the case it is scrap!

with any of this buy from a reputqable supplier andideally speak to them and make sure you are comfortable with what they have to say.
if uprating the turbo then the original map will probably not make the most of the changes and an off the shelf remap may well not do so either so if you are making changes speak to Karl or whoever so they know what mods are done.

I am by no means an expert on this but have some experience, having had turbocharged cars for 20 or so years.

one thing to remember is that if you are remapping then a quick car is one that also handles and stops, look at your suspension and brakes also tyres. 100K miles suspension is tired at best.

when mine was mapped i fitted new Brembo disks and uprated pads all round and changed the brake fluid. My Bilstein b6 and hirsch lower springs suspension now has 30k miles on them. Its important not to overlook this areas. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All good advice, thanks.

I checked with Neo that their 'alternative turbo' is rated to handle the Maptun stage 1 upgrade that they also sell and they're happy with that, so that's one potential problem less.

I couldn't rebuild or exchange my own turbo because it's a GT17... I don't think they'd have been happy when I sent in my 'exchange' part. I'm happy to have a go at rebuilding a turbo, I've done worse, but I wanted to get it back on the road ASAP. Hopefully I won't need to for this car now, but I'll keep it in mind.

I've been in touch with Karl about the remap already, nice bloke who really knows his stuff. I'll get the turbo swap done with the stock ECU to minimise variables, but the new one will also be here by then so I'll swap it in as soon as I know it all works. I'll be putting the new breather pipes on though, just in case a bad PCV system was part of the problem. (The sump is also going to be cleaned out, and I'll double check that he's going to clean out the intercooler and pipes).

Suspension and brakes are definitely on my list once my pocket recovers. It drove and handled very nicely in the week I had it before it popped so I don't think they are completely shot.

Oh, and it's the 5 speed auto so I won't worry too much about the clutch ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I also have the 5 spd auto, the map matches the box very well. would change the oil in it though unless you are sure it was done at 90k or less that 5 or so years. you are putting a lot more torque through it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good thought, thanks. I've looked it up and it looks like a job best done at home in several stages, so I'll leave that till I get it back up and running again.

I just checked the service history - it's only done 2-3000 miles per.year for the last three years and still had a service with oil change at every MOT, which is nice. There was a litre of ATF added two years ago, but no sign of a box oil change. It's on 125,000 miles now so is due for the second 60,000 mile change (I know MY2005 says 90,000 mile changes but 60,000 always sounds safer).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latest news: it's up on ramps being done. Sump cleaned out (not bad at all - this is for an '04 car (new PCV system) with 125000 miles on it which seems to have been looked after with annual oil changes), intercooler and charge cooler pipe cleaned out, turbo very very leaky but not mechanically damaged.

I'd have it back now except that with that all removed they could see it also has a snapped exhaust manifold stud and another on the way out. So I have to wait while they get a new gasket in for tomorrow then replace all the studs - hopefully none of them are too painful to get out!

This is why I decided to get a garage to do it. On older cars it's never just what you thought needed doing, is it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so the turbo was actually damaged, the GT17 shaft had snapped, hence oil leaving it in both directions.

It's all been cleaned out now, TD04 is fitted along with a noobed stage 1 ECU, and it's been for a nice long run to clean the pipes. Looking good and goes very nicely TYVM. I'm seeing 33psi on Torque Pro which sounds about right (21psi over atmospheric). It's distinctly quicker than my BMW 328i Coupe was.

The exhaust gaskets were in a right state, I guess it's been leaking for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts