Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As discussed here:

The Idea

A European version of the Viking Challenge which was held for the first time that the 2003 SOC in the US. It's a combination of a timed autocross, a dyno session and a 'concourse' of modified Saabs where points get awarded not for originaility but for the quality of execution of their mods, and how they fit in with the original concept of the car.

Now we don't have autocross over here as an organised form of motorsport - our parking lots are rather too small, I think. The most suitable equivalent IMO would be a sprint-type event where car hit a timed track course one by one (to minimize the danger of damage to cars, we'd basically be looking for an airfield-type track).

As said we want to gauge the performance of the cars, not their drivers - hence The Stig. Which can be anyone with suitable track skills and experience as well as a sane attitude regarding driving someone else's pride and joy.

That, and the Stig bit is just too good to miss from a publicity point of view - everybody who's only slightly into cars will immediately recognize what we're at  .

If we make it a yearly event, at the same track every time, we have a good instrument to 'measure' the ongoing development of the performance Saab scene. To further aid an understanding of what our cars are capable of, we could bring a couple of non-Saab performance cars along as a benchmark.[/b]
This is really a toe-in-the-water thing for me, but it seems quite a few performance-minded SSc people like the idea. So basically I am gauging whether there's be enough folks interested to do this, and how we would like to go about it.
Personally, I would like to do an event such as this right at the end (or the beginning) of a track season ( a bit like Evo/etc. Car Of The Year -makes for good Christmas reading...) as to complement/not to interfere with Saabscene TD04 (and 05) so we can concentrate on the first before heading into a new adventure. I would particularly like to invite the group of UK members that made SSc TD03 a success as well as doing a fantastic job with TD04 so far, to participate in this discussion, if not help out to make this happen!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Most excellent idea
. I for one would not mind knowing how my car performs against others on a real track. Rolling road reports don't impress me much
. And after seeing off a string of other makes of cars that are well spoken of, it would be an ideal chance to gauge the true extent of the power delivery of my own vehicle. I am sure others have that same vision about their car.
And I would fully back the idea of an independent/expert driver. As fast as my own car is, I don't consider myself skilled enough to get the best out of it myself.

What date and where? As long as it is a dry day .

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the end of the year I'd say - as not to interfere with proceedings around SSc TD04/05.

Entrants:

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S

Organization:

1. Jason (Mr. Torque-Steer)
2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
By the end of the year I'd say - as not to interfere with proceedings around SSc TD04/05.

Entrants:

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john

Organization:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops - forgot that Scaero told me he'd like to help out, too (unless he's changed his mind...)

Entrants:

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john

Organization:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S
4. Scaero (Map Tun Stg 3)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb]Whoops     - forgot that Scaero told me he'd like to help out, too (unless he's changed his mind...)

Entrants:

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john

Organization:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S
4. Scaero (Map Tun Stg 3)
6. [/qb][/b]
Oops, bit slow on the uptake.

Yes I'm up for it.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john
4. Mark E (kill or cure
)

Organisation:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'Nother rather intersting entry...

[qb] 1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john
4. Mark E (kill or cure
)
5. Ylee C

Organisation:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S
6. [/qb]

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john
4. Mark E (kill or cure )
5. Ylee 6C (with a couple of spare gearboxes !!)

Organisation:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Speaking of which, I better go and find a spare for Saabine, too before the season starts...

Lessee - couple of hundred quid (tops) for a spare '91-'93 c900 box on the shelf, or something like £ 4,000 for a motorsport 'dog box' that'll render my car virtually undriveable in traffic and might break anyways - tough call...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john
6. Mark A (a benchmark car ???)

Organisation:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S
4. Mark A

I'd be happy to bring my Saab or Audi.. whatever anyone wants...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]'Nother rather intersting entry...

1. Stanley B
2. Eric v. S
3. /john
6. Mark A (a benchmark car ???)

Organisation:

2. Mark E
3. Eric v. S
4. Mark A
5. Scaero (re added after being removed....)

I'd be happy to bring my Saab or Audi.. whatever anyone wants... [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I truly like the idea of this. My problem, which is the real reason I had not responded to this sooner, is that my assignment where I am at now ends in August. I do not yet know where I could be going then. I could end up on the island of Guam on the other end of the planet, and therefore no Saabscene events for a few years. Or, I could also end up at another base in the area that would put me within 20 minutes driving distance from the Nurburgring (currently I am about an hour and twenty minutes). If that happens, I will be around for the Viking Challenge and any other Saabscene events that come along.

So the summary is that if I stay in Germany or perhaps somewhere in Europe, I will be able to join in the Viking Challenge. I try not to think about it too much and work myself up as I need to find out where I will be going in August before I make any decisions about attending.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm - potentially bad news, I guess.

Although - wherever you go, there's bound to be an airfield, so I guess you'll need to being a few cones along for us and keep the planes from starting/landing for awhile, then. I'm sure transport for our cars could be arranged.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, this must be the oldest resurrected thread ever - but it's to announce/remind that the European Viking Challenge idea has morphed into Ultimate Saab Day which will take place at Bruntingthorpe Proving Grounds on November, 28th.

I hereby invite everyone who registered their interest in the Viking Challenge, to sign up for this event - but you'll need to do so before October, 7th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts