Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. Saab 9000CD 1992 185K miles, excellent history. In the last 2 weeks I have put on a new drive belt,installed a new regulator in the alternator,put new brushes in the starter motor etc etc. Anyway at idle it's smoking. Not on the move and not when cold. Only at operating temperature and whilst idling. I tried holding a cleenex near the exhaust to see if the tissue would disentegrate thus indicating water(head gasket probs) of course it didn't.Smoke still looks more white than blue so any ideas. I tried earlier today changing the oil and adding 1 litre of lucas oil stablizer at 20% strength in the hope that this would at least reduce what I presume is blowby. No real difference after taking it for a run The car is rapidly becoming the proverbial moneybox but don't get me wrong I still like it but with pragmatism in mind, is it time to get shot?? Is there anything simple that could be causing the symptoms rather than oil seals et al? Of course if I do get rid of it I will be getting another Saab, of that there is no doubt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried a few independents. Two out of three not interested...must have too much work...great customer service eh? Another who has worked on 9000s has quoted £150 for the labour or £200 if head skimmed. Seems reasonable? I will be supplying the Europarts bought gasket set.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
You should find someone with the right gear to analyse the coolant for combustion gases - quite common so shouldn't be hard. That way you'll know for sure before you part with £££ to get the head gasket done, when it might still be something else.

·
Registered
969 Posts
To give an idea of dealer costs, I had the water pump and head gasket done by Valley Saab in Tunbridge Wells (the head had an oil leak from the ususal corner but it was being done under warranty) and the all in cost was around £850!!! IIRC the water pump costs about £60 so the head gasket and labour made the rest. Thankfully I only had to pay an 'excess' of about £150.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by fliptop:
[qb]You should find someone with the right gear to analyse the coolant for combustion gases - quite common so shouldn't be hard.  That way you'll know for sure before you part with £££ to get the head gasket done, when it might still be something else. [/qb][/b]
Doesn't always work, I sniff tested my CS when the head gasket was gone and it didn't show anything up. The only signs were coolant going down slowly, white smoke on idle and a very sweet smell from the exhaust - burning coolant.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by colind:
[qb]Tried a few independents. Two out of three not interested...must have too much work...great customer service eh? Another who has worked on 9000s has quoted £150 for the labour or £200 if head skimmed. Seems reasonable? I will be supplying the Europarts bought gasket set. [/qb][/b]
If you are supplying the parts, £150-200 sounds pretty reasonable to me. At the end of the day, any decent garage should be able to do the job with ease, it's only a head gasket.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Scuse my ignorance but, if you have no white/grey mess on the dip stick and no loss of fluid ,could it not be put down to damp cold weather an more moisture in the air. How mant NEW cars do you see at lights with white smoke coming from the exhaust?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.