Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this time I can be a bit more specific. The car is ok when idling or moving very slowly. The smallest load on the engine seems to send the water temp needle upwards. Switching on the AC does the same thing. Give it some go for 20 seconds, and the needle goes up 1 cm! It goes up right to the end of the white. Let it idle or drive very smoothly and it goes back down.

Thermostat is new (89 C), fan works alright but seems to have little or no effect when the engine is under load.

Blocked radiator?

I flushed it last week using a hose, the flow seems normal, no debris seem to come out.

HELP!

Harry
91 CS Carlsson auto

·
Registered
260 Posts
It seems to me the first thing to check is the actual temperature of the engine. Are you sure it's not just the gauge playing tricks??

After that, if the gauge is reading true, the only time I've seen an engine do that is when the head gasket is gone. (Combustion gases being much hotter than coolant)

Pete.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hoslakidis

When I bought my present Carlsson around 2 years ago it was showing it ran hot.....2 years down the line it still is, I changed the thermostat,head gasket,switch blah blah blah...Ive put it down to a dodgy gauge it shows high 3/4s.......when I tried the thing I tried last, a digital temp gauge,it showed ok ....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's the head gasket as I have done about 3000 miles since I first observed it, and the engine runs ok, no lack of power etc. I think that by now the gasket would have gone completely.

Harry

1991 CS Carlsson

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sounds to me like blocked radiator, if its blocked you wont get any crud out when flushing it as the water will just flow down the unblocked rows.
In fact flushing is really a waste of time when there blocked - your just pro-longing the agony!!
Place your hand on the bottom of the rad when the cars upto running temperature, be carefull just incase the rads not blocked!! , if the bottom of the rad is cool then youve got a blockage.
Good luck
Pete.

·
Registered
763 Posts
'H',
How many miles/km has your car done? Are there any oil leaks at the cyl head/engine joint? Are you losing coolant over a period? Any oily matter in the coolant tank? Any white stuff on the tip of the oil dip-stick? Does car stutter when starting first thing in the morning?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mutungi,

The car has got 103k with FSH. No,no,no,no,no.

Car is absolutely fine except for the high temp. And no, it is not a bad gauge either. Things get
REALLY hot under the bonnet. THe only thing is I hae noticed is when the windows are up and you give it some go, there is a loud "hissing" noise coming from the turbo. I am not sure if that's new or if I just noticed it now. With the windows down the sound is normal, the usual whistling sound. The turbo works ok, at least as far as I can tell from the numerical gauge.

Outside temp here (Greece, for the moment) is quite high, 30-45 C.

I checked the bottom of my radiator, it is as hot as the top.

One more question. If my head gasket had gone, I presume that the car would overheat even at idle (or at least even when driving smoothly), is that right? I mean, the exhaust gases would go in the water anyway, no?

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by hsolakidis:

Thermostat is new (89 C), fan works alright but seems to have little or no effect when the engine is under load.
[/QB][/b]
Apart from whatever may be the cause of the problem, I'd recommend swapping the 89 deg thermostat for a 83 degree one. It helps things to keep cool. As a short term measure, you could try running it without the thermostat in at all to see if that drops the temperature- even when it's fully open, the stat still poses a significant amount of resistance to water flow.

The turbo "hissing" if it's always done it is probably normal- they spin at anything up to 100,000rpm so there's bound to be a bit of noise, especially under high boost. The sound is proabaly gettting in to the passenger cabin via a hole in the engnine bulkhead- there are several rubber grommets that from time to time can come loose.

·
Registered
763 Posts
'H',
It is quite common for that mileage of turbo Saabs to indicate early signs of a head gasket failure, although your 'no' to all the questions relating to signs of failure would confirm otherwise. After the next long run, switch off the car, open the bonnet and check if the water in the expansion tank is "bubbling".....if it is, your head gasket is on the way out. Otherwise, you just have to go through the process of elimination....thermostat (get a SAAB 82 degree), radiator (doubtful). You have not been tinkering with the valve timing or anything involving the camshafts, valves, etc.?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
H,
My 2.3t has shown the same symptoms as yours for over a year,after changing everything else with only marginal improvements,I am resigned to a new head gasket,I have never had oil in the coolant and one of those exhaust gas detectors shows 'nowt,but there again it is very difficult to hold it on the header tank whilst accelerating hard up the Halesowen bye-pass.
mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
My '86 9000t exhibits funny temperatures too. For the past six months that I've had it, I've noticed that temp gauge spikes close to the red after initial startup (say after 5 mins of normal driving) and then quickly drops down to the center region. There's no oil in the coolant (or vice versa), I've installed a new thermostat, changed coolant (not flushed though), and the car seems to run slightly warm in the summer heat (~35deg C outside).

What would cause this weird consistent spike? It doesn't cause the cooling fan (that DOES work) to come on...which has a new switch (and good fuse) as well.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Vicrum:
[qb]For the past six months that I've had it, I've noticed that temp gauge spikes close to the red after initial startup (say after 5 mins of normal driving) and then quickly drops down to the center region.

It doesn't cause the cooling fan (that DOES work) to come on...[/qb][/b]
The temperature rising up high at startup and the fan not coming on at that stage suggests to me your thermostat is opening too late- I know you've replaced it but if it wasn't an OEM one, it might be wise to get one and try it instead.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Regarding the thermostat temp rating, the Haynes manual gives 87c as their only option which translates roughly to 194f. So I got what the manual said, however the one I replaced was 82c or 180f +/- and everyone I've talked to on this site says that's the proper temp. I have to agree now that my guage reads on average a bit above the 9 o'clock position whereas before it was running a bit below 9 o'clock. I'll be making that change.

Damn you once again, Haynes!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
If it is of any help my 91 carlsson runs hot too..the gauge is always above the 9 o'clock position but everything else seems ok
when stopped in traffic it does go higher ..to 3/4 but never into red
while on the other hand my 94 aero alway runs in the bottom 1/4 ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts