Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was another busy one.

The box is back together, the driver wheel and suspension has been refitted (thank's Haynes, is doesn't need to be dismantled), and the new clutch and cover are on (2 hr round trip drive to Bury StEdmonds).

The worst bit must have been rebuilding the selector forks. it took 4 hands and some imagination. You can only fit opne fork at a time, and all the rest must be in the neutral position, and you have to remember to position the gear linkage selector.

Also, setting the preloading was fun, but we only did the output shaft as we didn't have any input shaft shims.

Also while refitting 5th, we noticed that the bearing race for the output shaft (under 5th) is badly pitted around half it's circumference, so it's going to be clean oil and ptfe and see how long it goes. The only plus point is this could be changed with the gearbox in the car (just).

Tomorrow We try to get it back in the car and see if it works.

More pics below...

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
It's the sort of job I'd love to do - assuming I had a big garage, all the tools, and someone to guide me ("hand hold"). In other words, I still haven't the nerve!

Love the pictures too - almost makes me want to tackle a far simpler job.

I'm on the modem at home (50.6 connection), and the pics didn't take too long to load - certainly not as slow as a page with loads of ads!

Kevin Mc

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should say at this point, the garage the car is in is a friends back garden where the previous owner services his lorry tractor units (hence the large pit (18ft*3.5ft*just deep enough).

I then too my box to the garage where the doner box was (Hannat and Sons, Castle Acre) and asked if we could borrow a corner of the floor.

This was much needed, as we had to borrow a dial gauge, 27mm socket and air gun (get the big nut off 5th), various pullers and the 9000 gearbox section of the manual (and handy hints and tips from Matt a mechanic who is about to rebuild his 9000 box).

Unfortunatly I forgot to take a photo of just the box with no shafts and just the diff in. Also I didn't have enough hands to take one when dropping the output gear stacks on (1,R,2 & 3) which go on together and locked with the input shaft and stack and reverse idler, or when building the selector (each shaft has a pin, a spring and 3 ball bearings, interlocking all the other shafts....)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
You're showing off now!

The only thing I tried on my Carly was changing the oil - didn't even manage that, as I couldn't jack the car up high enough to get at the mangled sump plug.

Oh - I have changed the wipers all round (he said proudly!)

It's about the tools too - I tried to change the spark plugs - got the DI unit off okay - but didn't realise I needed a different spark plug socket thing, as they were a different size to my cheapo Halford set! Gave up and let the garage do it!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when Mike died about 9 years ago, his son Stuart took it on.

When they lost the Saab franchise (too much investment cost for new showrooms etc (and locations - middle of nowhere), hew took on a skoda franchise. Since then he has dropped that and is doing solely used Saabs from very young(6 months ish to order) through to mid 80's (take you pick from the line).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yeah, it was when they lost the franchise that my old man stopped using them( quite a hike from Brundall anyway, but no-one better.) Unfortunately I haven't got the old man to buy back into saab as they don't need such a big car now none of us live at home, plus they live down in Kent as well.

Neil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts