Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today task for the faint willed was to replace the reverse idler shaft in the Carlsson's gearbox.

As these pics should show, that wasn't the only prob.... the input shaft is toast (non replaceable, as is reverse on the output shaft (does disassemble).

Luckily the 93 aero doner box (with toasted output shaft and 1st through 5th, has a good input shaft, reverse idler and output shaft reverse.

So, a full strip and rebuld has been started.....

Does anyone know how many teeth you shoule have??

Tommorrow I go back to add 2nd through 5th back in

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I do hope so...

I've got tomorrow off to finish getting the box back together, and have ordered a new clutch and rubber gear linkage.

The pig is getting all the detent balls, springs and pins in + the gears, syncro's and sleeves in order, to get the input and output shafts rebuilt.

Then the next job is to rebuild the selector forks as the middle two collapesed as we removed the main housing (more springs, pins and balls!)

What's weard on these boxes is you get 1st, R, 2nd 3rd and 4th in the main box, and 5th outside under a cover at the end (with a brake pin for reverse by 5th).

PS wish me luck, this is the first box i've ever delved in, and I only have the Saab 9000 Haynes manual....

Andrew

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
As Jason said - that is a big garage.

Excellent pics - too. I'm dialled on with an old fashioned 56k modem link, and didn't take that long to load up.

Wish I had the nerve to tackle such big jobs!

I'll keep watching with interest.

Kevin Mc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.