Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a complete set of Aero seats in Sand Beige and fitted them to my '91 9K. Rears went in with no problem, straight swap for existing seats, fronts were a little more difficult.
I got them in a 'laid back' posistion and so can't fix them until the backrest is upright, connected them up to the power, where the old seats were plugged in and......
NOTHING!!
Not a flicker, checked fuse(s) OK, removed seats and they are Heavy, put my old one(s) back in, lo and behold they work, Aeros back in, Nowt!
And ideas what the trouble could be?
Seats are in good condition and don't look to be abused in any way, the undersides look factory fresh and no tampering appears to have been done to the motors etc.
HELP ME PLEASE, the anticipation of these seats has kept me excited all week and I don't want a cloud of dissapointment this weekend.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you had motorised seats that already worked. What you are saying is the new ones, when plugged in to the same socket as the old ones, do not work. There is no difference between the operation of the seats except that the later MY added the ability to operate the drivers seat without the ignition on if the door was open, but that is taken care of by another relay not housed in the seat. The new ones should therefore be "plug and play"

Things to check (you'll need a multimeter) or, alternatively a small 12V lamp:

Can you measure a voltage on the chair side of the connector when plugged in?

Can you measure a voltage at any of the switches on the chair

If you connect the multimeter to the chair connector on it's ohms range, do you see a change in impedance when you operate a switch?

HTH

·
Registered
778 Posts
If things are the same on UK versions, here in the 'states the '91-92's had two wires going to the seats: a red and black. With the Aero seats, there were 3 wires: two reds and a black. The connectors are the same, there's just a different number of power wires for the different model years. What you need to do is be certain that the two red power wires on the Aero seats are getting juice. I installed Aero seats in a CC bodied '92 (here in the 'states the CS body debuted in '93) and had to run a very short jumper wire to make sure both red wires on the Aero seats were getting power.....hth

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, both seats or connected and inoperative on all functions and buttons, too much of a coincedence for both seats to be faulty. I'll get hold of a multi-meter tomorrow, never thought i'd need one again (standard tool for old Alfas), at least the wires on a socket match the colours of the plug on a Saab, makes life less interesting, but easier. I'll keep you posted, keep posting help.
BTW the rear seats are more comfortable than my sofa!! Can't wait to get the fronts upright.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huzzah, they're working. Thanks for the help guys. With the aid of a multimeter found out the seats WERE getting power but didn't pass to any of the motors. Have 2 wires going into the socket (car side) yet 3 red, black and red/white, on the socket (seat) side of the circuit. Connected the red/white to a 12v supply, relay clicks and movement is obtained.
Made up a bridge kit without damaging either plug or socket (and can easily be removed), and now all is well in my corner of the world. Don't know if the heated seats work, today is not the day to be sat in a hot car with your bum and back getting warmer.
Thanks again for all the assistance,
Scott.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'll wager that the seat heaters work - there's really no mechanical parts, other than relays, involved with the heating elements. If the "bridge" or "jumper", as we say here in boston, was done, then he should be getting power to all the motors and the heating elements. By the way, those seats, although the most comfortable I've ever experienced, are also, because of all the motors, some of the heaviest.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, I imagine that age/mileage and weight of the driver
are factors in the elements' mortality. I've had quite a few saabs (99's, 900's and 9000's) and never had one fail. However, your point is well taken, and it certainly could be a possibility, but I'd still wager that the elements are fine - it'd be a reasonable wager, though - a fiver, maybe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like we have a winner.
The US have it, both heated seats work, and on seat and back pads too.
Had three 9Ks now and only one had a none functioning seat (drivers side) but it'd done 200 000miles+ so I forgave it. Only thing to go wrong in 12 months of ownership was the fuel pump. Great solid lump.
Was that a five dollars or five quid wager?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.