Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is pretty much just an update to a earlier post of mine asking what that sulfer smell was when i turned off the car and opened the door.....Well I took it in to have the exhaust looked at..pretty much everything from the CAT on back needs to be replaced..hence the smell from the tube off the Cat had hole in it. as well as the resognator, and the pipe from there to the muffler( and that had holes in it as well as being completely seperated from the exhaust system. ...then i get the estimate to see the damage in black and white $644.98
the least expensive parts are the 2 clamps to hold it together....then the labor of $50.00 an hour(1 hour job to repair thank god ),then the resognater $295.00, muffler $265.00...at least the estimate was FREE ... but she still runs mostly quiet even with an exhaust system looking more like swiss cheese than a muffler and pipes time to start saving pennies

·
Registered
305 Posts
Check your private messages.

You need to get the exhaust and cat replaced as you will burn up the valves with the loss of exhaust pressure not to mention fill the interior with carbon minoxide. The sulfur smell is the cat liner burnt.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a complete 2.5" cat-back system custom bent for my car with a nice turbo muffler for about $200. I also added a "Saab" 4" exhaust tip for another $50. Was told that the turbo mufflers reduce backpressure by 70%. Also, in regard to valve problems with air through the cat? How about people that run no cat at all or have a performance cat installed? I have yet to hear of anyone with valve problems running either of those two systems

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks to sertain individuals I will have the whole exhaust replaced for well under the estimate from my local muffler shop ..
But as far as my CAT being bad ...its fine no rattles and cant hear any thing moving around inside..BUT none the less it to will be replaced along with the whole entire exhaust system.
Thanks you know who

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.