Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

That auto box is coming out

Tags
auto box coming
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Stewart 
#1 ·
If I am keeping the Saab, or get one with a manual box again.
It's a pita and has been all day, it's just that your driving along quite the thing knowing that if you had a manual, you would have changed up!.

But it doesn't till you hit certain revs I'm also getting a "whine" changing from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4.
I really have came the conclusion, I dont like auto's!, nope!!

I can sort out the rattles ect, and either put 60/65 profile tyres on, it's got 55's just now, And see how the shocks are then.

If it's still to hard for my liking then oil/standard it is!. And someone wants gas/uprated whatever the hell they are can have them.

But apart from the ranting, the car's fine believe it or not.

#2 ·
The saab autobox does have some odd quirks. Mine used to change down just a bit too often but the garge put that right by adjusting the kickdown cable... OK that doesn't solve the "why hasn't it changed up" problem but I find that just letting back on the gas seems to help it decide to change up.

The whine can be solved by putting a product called lubeguard into the box - this is an additive that saab recommend in a technical bulletin.

I do agree that compared to the manual box the autobox really doesn't shine but it does make driving round town (or crawling on the M5/M42) one hell of an easier experience.

Steve

#5 ·
Axl, I think you would find a malfunctioning manual 'box just as annoying. I know from experience and they also seem to be prone to probs, slave cylinder, selectors etc..

Having said that, as a recent auto user I think I would prefer a manual box. I don't like the loss of control over such a crucial area as what gear I'm in. The pause , then , lurch as you decide to welly it for overtaking is annoying as is a sudden downchange as you give more gas to go up a steep curving hill. Lots of wheelspin...

It is good for town but it's not the same. In theory you can drive it as a 3 speed manual but this feels weird. The ideal , I think , would be an automatic clutch with manual selection. I thnk Porsche have this. Or a sequential shift like on my motorcycle, down to change down , up to change up.

#6 ·
There are some cars that have boxes where you nudge the stick for sequential shift control (with an automatic clutch) or you can switch it into fully auto mode, with different profiles for town, sport etc.

They do sound cool, but on the other hand, I think problems and repair bills associated with such systems would make Saab boxes seem cheap and reliable, but I could be wrong!

#7 ·
Well I can remember when I had my first BM and the auto box went on that.

I got quote of (inc vat) £1700 from a place Mackie in tolcross, Glasgow.

I was told "how much do you like your car?", because thats what it boiled down to.

iv'e also had a master/slave/clutch fitted to a Saab a couple of years ago, that was £370 inc labour.

So it's a bit diffirent from the price above for an auto box overhaull!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.