Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a MY 2000 9-5 SE 2.0 lpt with 62K last weekend.

All I can say is I'll either be keeping mine, looking for a '97 CS Aero, or looking at testing a 9-5 Aero estate.

Thoughts were:-

Dead steering.
dodgy SID2
Vauge suspension round corners
No acceleration
Poor switches (like indicators/wipers etc)
No seat heaters!
No sun roof
No electric seats
Loads and loads of blank switches
Doom solid dark blue colour

Plus points
Had split side ACC

Yep, I'm still a C900/9000 man by choice.

Andrew

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I chose mine because it didn't have a sun roof, just so I could get in.

It's a 1998 2.3SE auto so you get the heated seats. I've found that changing the tyres has sharpened the steering a lot, but otherwise it's standard and a nice silver metallic.

Fast enough? Yes, for 99% of the time. But the other 1% seems like 5%

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I chose mine because it didn't have a sun roof, just so I could get in.[/b]
Must be the same build as you. I got our 2 9000CSEs without sunroof so I could get in - not for my trilby - flat cap man - not). Good negotiating issue though as I looked sad cos car didnt have sunroof

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Yeah...when I was looking for my Aero, I wanted one without a sunroof....but, the one I ended up buying had a sunroof...

Car was too good to leave just because it had the sunroof...which incidently I think I've only used once in 2.5 years.....pointless device with ACC...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rarely us the roof in the carlsson, but as it's glass I always have the blind open.

It's amazing how much extra light it lets in.

The Aero has no sun roof.

It's noticeable how much flimsyer (is that a word) the roof is without a sunroof.

Andrew

·
Registered
330 Posts
Aeropilot,
Sunroofs are great,i use mine even in winter & i've got ACC,cant stand driving with at least a window down.
most pointless car with a sunroof: ovlov 480,the electric version went up 1 1/2 inch,didnt even go backwards,just up!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had a 9-3 Convertible as a loan car when mine was serviced.
The gearbox felt much better than mine, but i always felt like i was sitting on the seats, instead of in them (hope that makes sense) as they weren't shaped very well.
And I felt that i was sitting too high, despite making sure the seat was lowered

Do the sports versions of the 9-3 have better seats etc?

Skiddins

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The Viggen has the best seats of all the 9-3's, although those in the 9-3 Aero's are pretty good....as for the rest of the 9-3 range......hmmnnn
I haven't driven a Viggen or 9-3 Aero, but have driven most of the rest of the models and none of them impressed me at all....

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]I test drove a MY 2000 9-5 SE 2.0 lpt with 62K last weekend.

All I can say is I'll either be keeping mine, looking for a '97 CS Aero, or looking at testing a 9-5 Aero estate.

Thoughts were:-

Dead steering.
dodgy SID2
Vauge suspension round corners
No acceleration
Poor switches (like indicators/wipers etc)
No seat heaters!
No sun roof
No electric seats
Loads and loads of blank switches
Doom solid dark blue colour

Plus points
Had split side ACC

Yep, I'm still a C900/9000 man by choice.

Andrew [/qb][/b]
You own an Aero and you 'complain' of no accleration when testing a 150bhp 2.0 lpt
Well of course there isn't!!! compared to an aero!
Soft suspension is a well known bugbear... but again its the soft model, not the sports... same for steering..
Chalk and cheese! Test the Aero....
Poor switches? personal taste? but can't see the problem... they aren't to be looked at, just used
No seat heat? well it was an option, and same for leccy seats, and sunroof, you've obviously tested a poverty se model.
You simply do not need a sunroof, the ventilation system is far to good....
and it will never leak, creak or rattle!
And colour is a choice!

Sorry, you choose completely the wrong car to compare to a 9000 aero....

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Andrew you seem to be a tad biased? is this because you cannot afford a 9-5 Aero and then mods But to be sensible
did you realy not rate it that much? as every good driver knows the 9-5 chassis is far superior to the 9000 ,it may be the fact as leon points out you are comparing a modded 9k to a standard base 9-5 Hmmmmm..hardly fair?
I dare say we will see you in years to come in a 9-5 along with all the rest of the "9k is the best" boys by that time the 9-5 will feel like a dream compared to your poxy 9000

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
ooh saabman and you are not biased !!!
anyway I had a chance of driving sis's '02 aero estate and I was very impressed v high toy count ,great seats,and I thought it handled very close to my aero although "different"
blew away a '02 wrx..boy was he surprised
i would have to spend a lot more time with it to really tie down the difference
...however summary ?
9-5 more modern, fast and comfy,
9000 older ,better seats
very close though

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
 [/b]
No I am not do you not think with the money I spent on my 9-5 I could have bought a 9000 Aero? and then had it modded!
I went for the 9-5 as it is a far superior car I may not have the power of a modded 9k or the handling but when the 9-5 mods come down to a sensible price as the 9k mods are who will be laughing then

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Saabman:
[qb] QUOTE
 [/b]
I may not have the power of a modded 9k or the handling but when the 9-5 mods come down to a sensible price as the 9k mods are who will be laughing then [/qb][/b][/quote] I am...... see...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well, I had the opportunity a while back to live with a pre-facelift manual 2.0lpt estate. It was a base spec, except for 17" alloys.

What did I rate about it:
The out of the box handling was pretty damn good, and I would say ideal for the comfy exec market it's aimed at. However I was aware that the suspension for my own tatste would need to be lowered and slghtly stiffened- but then I 'd say that about a spec 9000.

Performance was quite acceptable

It was very easy to forget you were driving an estate

What I didn't like:
Single biggest gripe, and this is a practicality thing so does bother me a lot, no convenient open cubby holes/bins anywhere near the centre console for sunglasses, nic nacs, sweets etc.

Actually I wish now I'd bought it. It was about 2 yrs old at the time, had only 6500 miles on the clock and was going for about £6k IIRC. The catch? It had been caught in flood water. Not high enough to hit the seats, but enough to take out the electronics. The insurers had declared it a write off as they coudln't be sure what else might have been affected. But for that price I think I'd have been prepared to take a chance...

Anyway, in summary, I liked it. A lot. More so in base form than a 9000 But I doubt it could ever be the performance animal
that a 9000 can be (but then again some say that about the 9000 vs the C900...) it just seems too polite.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
ooohhh saabman....
objectively I find them to be very much the same
the 9-5 being the more modern but ...
the 9000 has the hatch and I do not like estates
(except the land type which I aspire to)
so that swings it for me..
however there is a srong argument for a 9-5 especially at the prices nowadays
so enjoy saabman..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just thought I would add my bit. I enjoyed driving my 9000, but the thing I didn't like was the front window posts (can't think of the proper name
) but I always found that they got in the way. I know they are for safety but still annoying. Where as in the 9-5 I haven't found this a problem what so ever and I presume that it is just as safe if not safer than a 9000.
I have to say I do prefer the 9-5, I love it.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
What I didn't like:
Single biggest gripe, and this is a practicality thing so does bother me a lot, no convenient open cubby holes/bins anywhere near the centre console for sunglasses, nic nacs, sweets etc.[/b]
Ahh but you do get that super big pocket on the front edge of the front seats Ideal for sweets sunglasses etc,Plus when you accelerate hard the contents of this storage space do not fly all over the cabin

the front window posts (can't think of the proper name  )  [/b]
A-posts

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.