Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my reception for my radio is terrible, even my wifes 15 year old Fiesta gets better reception with a standard factory fitted ford stereo/aerial. Does anyone else suffer with that or is it just me?? Is there anything I can do, cheaply, to improve it. I was tempted with putting an old wire coat hanger on it, but probably isn't the best solution!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
hi, you dont state what version of the car you have

is it a saloon / estate or a convertible

more than likely there is an issue with the contacts on the aerial as its built into the rear windscreen (saloon / estate) other people can give you more precise information at what to look at

if its the convertible then maybe the aerial amp has gone that sits directly under the beesting aerial or you have wire feeding the aerial that has come slightly loose

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is a 9-3 Saloon 2005 and has one of the black nipple aerials on the roof

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
as jon has mentioned the shark fin aerial on the top of the roof is not your radio aerial, this is used for your sat nav (GPS) head unit or built in phone reception if you have one installed (most often they are dummy ones if you dont have built in sat nav)

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
The guys are right, the aerial amplifier is behind the pillar at the back of the car off side, it unscrews and you'll see the gubbins behind. Might be worth checking the fuse.

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
it's powered by the same fuse as the rear demister,which is #5 maxi in the rear fb..is this all the time on am/fm/both or only when the demister is on,does it get worse..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It works, but it struggles to maintain a decent reception on FM. No different to driving in a poor reception area, but was concerned as other vehicles seem to pick up a clearer reception. AM seems to work fine. Demist has no affect. Was thinking it was a design flaw at first..........

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
i'd start with checking the conections going onto the screen,making sure they're tight a clean then do the same on the other side..might also be worth checking you're gettin 12v+ at the amp..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm really sorry to sound like a Newbie, but how do I access the connections? My rear pillars are loaded with airbags, is it a case of just popping them off like a door trim, or is there a technique to it? I know my way around an engine, but trims always scare after I destroyed my Sierras back in 96!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
convertibles are slightly different as they use beesting aerials rather than the rear windscreens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts