Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Saabscene approached the SOC to request sponsorship of the Saabscene trackdays for SOC members following the SOC's sponsorship of the separately-organised Elvington track day a few years ago.[/b]
Bill, just for the record, and I can speak with authority on this as I had the correspendence with SOC regarding that event:

We were forced into asking SOC for sponsorship after we had previously informed them of our intention to run an event, and yet they chose to ignore this and instead organise the alternative, competing, event at Elvington earlier in the calender year. They stated that this event would be subsidised for SOC members so we had to ask them to mirror this offer for our event to try to maintain a competetive price for SOC members, who were likely to be a significant number of the attendees at our event. The actions of the SOC on this occasion meant that we had to work much harder to deliver our trackday at an attractive price. Furthermore, I understand one of the SOC registrars at the time made it clear to one of our members who was distributing leaflets on that day, not before, publishing our event that he was not welcome to do so.

As someone who has put a lot of work into organising the previous events, I am very pleased to see that the concept of an all-Saab trackday continues but I do feel that the SOC is using the event primarily for it's own gain rather than just simply the drivers of the cars, members or not. Nonetheless, the event still has my support.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, Bill, I hope to be as long as I am in the country
Never mind the 9-5, I might be giving Bubbles some excercise if I haven't sold her by then!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts