Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Venue: Goodwood Circuit
Date: 19 May 2005

Saabscene is pleased to announce the date and venue of our third-annual exclusively Saab track day.

Saabscene and UKSaabs have joined together organise Saab Trackday 2005 at Goodwood Circuit, near Chichester in West Sussex on 19th May 2005.

Where?

Goodwood Circuit is situated just of the A286 near Chichester and is easily accessible along the A27 from the east or west. Drivers travelling south can use A3/A27 or A23/A27.

Goodwood Circuit is an extraordinary place being the only classic circuit in the world to remain entirely in its original form. Nestling at the foot of the South Downs, the sea often visible just a few miles distant, the picturesque venue is a two-mile, gently undulating circuit that is very well suited to the power of Saab turbo engines. From the technical Woodcote corner to St. Marys, the circuit is challenging but rewarding to the Saab driver.

When?

19th May 2005.

Tell me more!

Booking is strictly limited to 40 cars (only 10 cars will be on the track at any one time).

Noise Limits: 98dB 0.5m, 45° from exhaust 3/4 max RPM

It is probable that we will run the day on the same basis as our successful Anglesey track days with sessions, dependent on experience, during the morning and an open pit in the afternoon.

More information can be found at www.saabtrackday.com

What's the cost?

As with our previous trackday events, the cost of Saab Trackday 2005 is divided between all the partipants. On the basis that we have 40 cars participating the cost will be £155 per person. This really is excellent value for money (Anglesey 2004 - which was also excellent value for money but is a smaller and more remote circuit cost £117.50 per person by way of comparison)

For this we get exclusive use of the track for the day complete with professional marshalls, a manned ambulance, public liability insurance and an ARDS qualified instructor.

How do I book?

The event is strictly limited to 40 Saabs and is on a first-come first-served basis. To book you will need to download and complete the event application form. Then send this with a deposit, minimum £50 (payable to Saabscene), to the address specified.

The latest date for receipt of deposits is 31st January 2005.

The latest date for receipt of balance is 31st March 2005 and this will be dependent on number of participants. We intend to fill this day with 40 cars in which case the cost should be £155 per person.

Note: Saab Trackday is an entirely non-profit making event. No individual and no third party organisation makes any profit from running this event for the benefit of Saab enthusiasts. The cost of the circuit for the day shared by the participants.

Please note that space is strictly limited and we strongly advise you to get your deposit and application form in as soon as possible.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone who would like to see what sort of circuit it is: Two laps (.wmv) of Goodwood Circuit in a Saab

The circuit is just over two miles long, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by F900:
[qb]I take it the noise limit is fairly strict?

Matt [/qb][/b]
All cars are measured before they're allowed into the pit lane IIRC. When a few of us were there in February a few guys had to fit sound dampers to the tailpipes of their motors, bike engined sevens mostly.

Is your exhaust road legal, because if it is then you shouldn't have a problem, if it isn't then you may need to fit a silenced section (if possible) for the day.

A mate of mine has a bike engined seven and he's been told that you can wad the exhaust with wire wool to add temporary damping, at a slight performance cost. Whether or not this can be done on a Saab I know not.

HTH.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by F900:
[qb]I take it the noise limit is fairly strict?
[/qb][/b]
98dB 0.5m, 45° from exhaust 3/4 max RPM

IIRC, a full JT 3" system on a 9000 Aero recorded in the low to mid 80s dB at Goodwood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mines a touch over 98db at 4500rpm, theres always the option of wire wool with chicken wire hose clipped over the end of the tailpipe to drop the level a bit, or just hold it a bit below 4500rpm

Matt

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
They monitor noise around the circuit too; I've seend a few cars that pass the standing rev test then get pulled as they go down the pit straight...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's not clear from the website, but other info I've found suggests it's A weighted. In my experience it's the upper end of the band that causes the problem anyway, so the weighting won't be as significant.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
A-weighting would make sense as it's the standard for almost all environmental noise measurements.

If you're reading this an wondering what it all means it's to do with a filter that make the noise measurement have less emphasis on low frequencies. But as Mark suggests, it may not have much effect on the type of noise that comes out of an exhaust. I'm gonna have to look it up now!

·
Registered
836 Posts
One of the big advantages most of our turbo Saabs have on noise testing, is that statically at 3/4 revs will still be zero boost and minimal noise output.
On the circuit will be another thing, but it is difficult for circuit organisers to test that with any degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone with a standard Saab exhaust, a JT system or a Hirsch system should have no problem with either the static nor the drive-by noise level tests.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I would guess not- I've not had any problems with a JT front DP, followed by a straight CAT bypass pluss full Abbott SS system, which is reckoned to be louder than the JT- either at static or drive by.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I passed at Goodwood earlier this year with a single rear box stainless system on my 9000, so I would be very surprised if any Saabs are over the limit for the track.
There was a cobra of sorts in front of me and that failed, but then that was LOUD

See You there

Dulux

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Circuit Zolder has similar restrictions. There they fit a transponder to your car, then they can track the car around the track and measure it on drive by.

My C900, when it had a full 3'' JT system with one silencer and no cat was fine.

At Goodwood during the 2002 Abbott trackday, Ian Foxly's 99 Turbo needed a touch of steel wool to pass. IIRC that was fitted with an Abbott SS exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 99T failed the noise test,(think it was in region of 104/105 db) but we expected this having taken it to Oulton to have it RAC checked the week before.

Whilst it can be dampened down with wire wool in the exhaust, we wouldn't recommend this, as by the end of the day the wool had disintigrated due to the heat. It took lots of elbow grease to clean all the rusty swarf off the tailgate, and rear wing quarter.

Mrs 99T

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
For those of you thinking of doing TD05, but have never been to Goodwood, then for swatting up on the track, it's worth investing in the Goodwood specific part of the Dunlop UK circuit guide. Only £5.99 + £1.50pp.

But, for anyone contemplating doing other track days as well the complete UK guide covering all of the UK circuits, including special track day venues and hillclimb/sprint circuits is a real bargin at £34.99 + £8.00 pp.

Available online from:-
UK Circuit guide

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by 99T:
[qb]The 99T failed the noise test,(think it was in region of 104/105 db) but we expected this having taken it to Oulton to have it RAC checked the week before.  

Whilst it can be dampened down with wire wool in the exhaust, we wouldn't recommend this, as by the end of the day the wool had disintigrated due to the heat.  It took lots of elbow grease to clean all the rusty swarf off the tailgate, and rear wing quarter.

Mrs 99T [/qb][/b]
That's a bummer. I've heard of people using sheets of thin fibreglass mesh for the same purpose as it doesn't disintegrate like steel wool.

But then neither is really satisfactory except as a stop-gap, as it puts so much restriction back into your expensive free-flow exhaust

Also bear in mind if you have an open induction kit then this can be a major source of noise. Think of old cars on big fat carbs & crappy mesh filters, or better still no filter at all

1 - 20 of 42 Posts