Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the TCS safety valve replaced, but this didn't solve the problem. The car is ok when the dealer clears the fault, the light goes off, I can drive as long as I want, but at the next restart the light goes on again and I'm in limp home mode. The dealer said he didn't have the required computer to chech the TCS, I will have to wait a couple of weeks until he gets it from Sweden.

So now I'm left without a car.....

I'm sorry, but that was it. Most probably this is my last Saab. Complex systems are great as long as they work, but when they go wrong they are time consuming, inconvenient and just too expensive.

Looking back, I miss my A-reg 323i, that after 4 years and 4 6000 miles trips and 250k in total, never left me stranded or asked for anything more than its oil changes.

So, there you have it. After 2 Saabs, I think I'll go back to Bavaria. An E30 325i cabriolet will do fine....

Bye bye ABS,TCS,APC,DI,ETS..... I'm going back to basics (and rear wheel drive )

I 'll put the Carly up for sale as soon as I am back in the UK.

I tried. I really tried. But I'm still just a student with a part time job, and it starts to get expensive.

I really liked the Carly though, not a driver's car but impressive nonetheless. I 'm sure I 'll miss it when I turn 50....

Harry
1991 CS Carlsson auto

PS. I don't mean to start a war. I 'm just letting you know of my opinions.I'm not saying that I'm right, that's just what I feel like.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Pity. The TCS/ETS seems to be the single most cryptic and expensive to fix system on the 9000, along with being the least reliable and one of the most inconvenient when it fails. I wouldn't consider a 9000 with TCS/ETS now, even though the only one I ever had gave very little trouble. It's just the potential for inconvenience that would be a constant worry for me.
Every other system, especially on the modern 9000 seems to be either reliable or fairly easy to diagnose and fix with the help of on-line resources like SaabScene.

Sorry you want to give up on Saabs, but I can understand how you feel - persistent (and expensive) problems like this can make the best of cars just not worth having. If you don't change your mind in the near future, good luck with the Bee-Em. Don't forget to cut all those Saabs up as you steam past in the outside lane of the motorway before diving across all three lanes to the slip-road

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah, the early 9000 TCS is a dubvious proposition, having no "off" function is probably a big enough put-off for most people. Mine has it, but if I'd had the money to pick and choose I woulda gone for a non-TCS car. At least my throttle body was replaced just before I got the car, I just hope it lasts for a few years!

Harry and Simon, you've been very unlucky blokes. I had a nightmare with my Carly, I just hope the CD is going to be a good un or I might try and kick my Saab addiction.

BTW, I actually phoned the guy about that CS Carlsson just after you'd bought it Harry!

·
Registered
865 Posts
well,i always wanted a carly until one day i was at my mechanic/saab guy ,he can fix anything on saabs......except tcs.it has to go to saab dealer to get recalibrated..3/400quid.that was the end of my looking for a carly.you have been unlucky,if you didnt have tcs on the car would you now be looking for a different make.remember all cars are now more complicated,not just saab.maybe if you had more info. on tcs before you bought car things would have been different.best of luck anyway.zep.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
£300-400 just for calibration? I thought Breachwood Saab (now Squire Furneaux) ripped me off when they fixed the intermittent limp-home on my '90 CD 2.3T. They found and fixed a binding pedal pot (really hard to find, I'm sure - they pulled loads of "incorrect pedal potentiometer voltage" codes from it). The fix was to modify the pot housing with a heat gun as per the Saab technical bulletin! Quite common on the very earliest TCS apparently. Anyway, the only part they replaced was a clip to hold the carpet at £1.52, I think, and the bill came to around £150-odd. This mostly comprised diagnostic time (they had the car overnight).

Anyway, to get to the point (yeah, get on with it!), this included "Re-calibrate TCS", which appeared on the invoice, and if Breachwood had thought they could charge me £400 for that bit, they would have.

I don't know the procedure, but I'd be surprised if it's much more than plugging in a Tech II, invoking a calibration mode, exercising the accelerator pedal a bit and telling the throttle to cycle open and closed to calibrate the throttle position sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts