Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have just bought a 1991 9000 2.3 t. It is left hand drive( originally sold in Germany) as I intend to take it to France this week. I am told by the Garage( backstreet but I understand very good with saabs) The car is perfect and has had a load of work done to it in the past year. The day I bought it I drove it for several hours without any problems including stopping and starting dozens of times. On one occasion the TCS light stayed on and the car kept cutting out, I drove it for 10 miles like this. turned it off left it settle for a while and tried it again same trouble, I got out and gave it to some one else to drive, he got in started it up the light went out and the car drove perfectly. I drove it several times since with no bother. This afternoon after driving it far a few miles and stopping for 5 minutes the trouble returned. I recreated the last cure, parked it on a hill opened and closed the doors took out the key etc, the light went out and the car was fine.
Can anybody shed some light on this, I have until next Friday to get it fixed.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, antraa.
If the place you got it from is good with Saabs, ask them to investigate. With the proper tool, they should be able to recover the fault codes from the TCS system and diagnose the problem. If you can get the fault codes, post them here and one of us can advise you. If your garage can't do this, a Saab dealer should be able to do it, but might charge a few Euros to do it (I assume "RoI" is Republic of Ireland?)

The fault could be as simple as a dirty throttle plate or a faulty valve, neither of which would be expensive to fix. However, it could be a faulty electronic throttle body, which would cost rather more.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Welcome to the board antraa

early 90's 2.3 9000 Turbo's with TCS are becoming notorious - problems are quite common, and potentially very expensive to fix.

Not sure exactly what the problem will be, though the throttle body is about £700 from a dealer (or at least it used to be), and the ABS/TCS pump is some unbelievable 4 figure amount

Despite my prophecies of doom, TCS/ABS problems have been sorted in the past for a lot less - faulty contacts etc.

If the car has some sort of warranty - definately get it looked at. At worst it may cost more than the car is worth to fix
Lets hope I'm being over pessimistic and it's going to be a few quid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.