Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVE BEEN GIVEN A WHITE J REG 2.3 CS TURBO INJECTION. 164,000 MILES ON CLOCK BUT HAD ANEW ENGINE FITTED BY ABBOTTS WITH UPGRADED ECU, DUMP VALVE AND INTERCOOLER, FULLY BLOWN TURBO AND FULL GAS FLOW HEAD. CAR HAD STOOD FOR 12 MONTHS BUT STARTED WITH A JUMP AND RUN OK BUT ON FITTING ANEW BATTERY CAR RUN IRRATIC WITH TCS AND ANTI LOCK DISPLAYED ON DASH. ENGINE DONE ABOUT 32,000 MILES, LEATHER SEATS, WOOD DASH,AC,ELETRIC ROOF AND WINDOWS. ANY GUIDE FOR VALUE HAVE PAPERWORK FOR ABBOTS ENGINE.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I fixed an ABS fault yesterday for a mere £35 but it took me a long enough time. Replacement near side sensor. That's the most common ABS fault, but I know nothing of TCS and have heard it's troublesome / expensive.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
it might be negative equity !!

tcs control unit the thick end of a grand and then you have to fit it !!

It sounds as if it is in limp home mode so I guess something is seriously wrong although it might just be a dodgy wheel sensor

I bought a 2.3 carlsson with a fault like this and paid £500
it was a faulty wheel sensor !!

you need to get a tech 2 and pull the fault codes

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd use ISAT, as when mine was in limphome mode with TCS fault light up, the Dealer told me my ECU was dodgy...£750 to you sir, when it turned out to be the vaccum hoses on the TCS solenoid had been put back on incorrectly by a mechanic. The fault codes displayed on TECH II are not always correct on pre trionic cars. To be totally sure you need ISAT to get the codes.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If it is a TCS unit fault the greatest value of the car probably lies in breaking it. If it was genuinely a new engine fitted, with full Abbott head, that's easily worth £750 on it's own.

Personally, and bearing in mind you got it for nowt, if the rest of the car is in good condition, I'd say that spending up to £700 or so sorting the TCS would be a good investment- it's a fantastic performing engine/head/ECU combination.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by andycannon:
[qb]When did SAAB drop the TCS system and why ?

Was it that it did prove too troublesome and expensive to fix ? [/qb][/b]
It wasn't dropped, the old non-switchable TCS was superceded by the switchable one on later 9000 Aero's. I haven't HEARD of the switchable one being quite so problematic as the earlier version. The early version was rushed out pretty soon after (or possibly at the same time as) the 2.3T engine was introduced. As we all know, the low down grunt of the 2.3T makes it very easy to break traction ... and gearboxes!! I've heard stories that the Saab engineers weren't happy with this TCS and wanted to develop an alternative but the marketing men got their way as; a) TCS was a good gimmick and B) perhaps they were afraid that the 2.3T's would have been too wild without TCS, and would have received poor reviews as a consequence.

[edit]Oh, and unlike the Carlsson and possibly the 93 Aero, TCS became optional from MY94 on (IIRC). I know of quite a few Aero's without TCS.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just for the record, 2 stoke 2 turbo have developed a kit to remove TCS from pre-trionic cars. They have fitted it to two cars at present and are doing a third as i write. This will be an option I will use if and when my TCS starts acting up again

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
At that age, the TCS problems could be in acsending price:-

vacuum hoses,
ABS sensor,
one of the 2 check valves
Throttle position sensor
and finally
Throttle body
TCS ECU

I'd check the hoses, valves, + ABS use. first.

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.