Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a buzz with a 306GTi coming out Ashford on the A28 today - quite a respectable performer but as he hadn't shaken me off after about a mile he gave up and slowed down - I was quite surprised and have just had to look up their spec just to check. What size lump are they 1.8?

Mike

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
yep indeed..

In the good old days, (Performance Car) they were considered a good performance hatch benchmark.. excellent handler.. they used to reckon it was a better steer than the Corrado VR6.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got to agree. tried one and it handles like a dream. Shame it rattled so much. Not a very heavy car. Suppose you can't have everything.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I drove a mates one with a 6 speed box. The gear change was sloppy and it didn`t seem that quick. Didn`t get a chance to put it thru some twisty bits.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I used to own a 306 XSI which is the 2.0 litre 8v baby brother.

The 306 is easily "benchmark" stuff when it comes to handling and due to the brilliant "passive rear wheel steering", where the rear wheel toes out as you turn harder into a corner means you can leave far far far more powerful cars behind on twisty roads.

By the way, a similar set up is on the 93SS which is why it's such a dream to throw through the corners

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pugs are fun I have had many and they are great handling cars better than my Saab just hav'nt got the same power.
A 406 coupe can even out handle an M3!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not sure about a 406 coupe outhandling an M3. Much as I hate to praise a B*W, the M3 is a fantastic drivers car (IMO). Like the style of the 406 coupe though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wouldnt have thought that a 406 coupe could out handle any bmw m3 series, other than maybe in the BTCC.

From what I remember of 406 coupe reviews is that its a lovely looking car, well made, pretty quick as the V6, but nothing stunning, and drives very similar to the 406 saloon.

I used to have a company 406V6 saloon, which was pretty damn quick in a straght line, cost a fortune to maintain, value dropped like a stone and had brakes that faded very badly after high speed stops !

The 306GTI 6 is a cracking car, along with the 306 Rallye

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi all,
my friend at work has just got a 406 turbo about 3 years old ie a newish car...he was well cheesed off .. have a 3 year old turbo car with 150bhp..
& me with a 16 year old saab c900 turbo 8v with 155bhp...

cheers Paul

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ahem.

A Peugeot 306 and a Peugeot 406 will most definately out handle a BMW 3 series through twisty B roads - having owned a 306Xsi and a BMW 325i at the same time I can confirm there is no contest.

But.

An M3 is no relation to any other 3 series car whatsoever. It may look "similar" but it is not.

Road holding and handling on the latest series M3 is of the very highest calibre and in a different league. For example, from experience a 330ci will oversteer to the point of causing bladder failure. An M3 goes round bends on rails. A different animal .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, to add my bit, I've had 2 325's, 2 320's, a 306 xsi and a 306 GTi6. The 306 GTi6 will leave the bmw's AND saab (9000 aero owner now)behind on really twisty roads, closely followed by the XSi. However, I would say that as the roads become less twisty (i.e. no 90 degree bends) the Saab will definately outdrag all of them, the GTi6 coming a close second, and the 325 just behind. The GTi6, and to a lesser extent the XSi, are really good through the twisties where the passive rear wheel steering kicks in. However, should a sharp S bend be approached at speed there is a chance that the back end will overtake the front just after coming out of the final twist. Never done it myself, but this is according to the Peugeot guru - SKIP BROWN MOTORS.

I'm sure someone out there without first hand knowledge will disagree...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I would agree with that - whilst he couldn't shake me for speed - and we were still accelerating fairly hard towards 90mph, my car was feeling decidedly skittish on the small humps and twists of the road, though at that point we met traffic in front and returned to 'normal' service.

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Peugeot 306 GTI-6 '93-'01 4/1998
167/6500 142/5500 7.2 140
Peugeot 306 Rallye '98-'99 4/1998
167/6500 142/5500 6.9 137

Both are given 5 stars by EVO, and they still say to this day that a 306 Rallye is still on par with the very best front wheel drive hot hatches around.

They are in a different league to any Saab, come to think of it most cars, when it comes to A/B road blasts. but then this is what they are designed for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was just commenting on my experience of an incident involving myself and an M3.
The coupe suspension is not standard though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by Bussman:
[qb]Hi all,
 my friend at work has just got a 406 turbo about 3 years old ie a newish car...he was well cheesed off ..      have a 3 year old turbo car with 150bhp..
& me with a 16 year old saab c900 turbo 8v with 155bhp...    

cheers Paul [/qb][/b]
Bloke at work has just traded his BMW 318ti Compact in for a W plate Golf GTi Turbo. Asked what power? He said "150BHP, you sure your old Saab has 185BHP?".
1985 Saab 900 T16 flatfront no cat model. I hope, with the way it is very flat, and then takes off that I have one of the few hairy cam models.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i own a downton clubsport mini, going down country roads there is not much to worry it, including my 9000 maptun stage 3, it goes round corners like no other car i have had. so fast, and following all sorts of other cars, you just keep seeing brake lights, when you are nowhere near using yours. great car. s...t in a straight line though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts