Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received a set of front Tarox 20 groove discs that I won off Ebay. Been sat in a garage for a year after being used for 3 months ( previous owner upgraded to an AP kit). All I can say is they weren't given much
as they look nearly new.

Only thing is they are not very shiny! Anyone know how I can take the haze off them and get them gleaming? I have put some Wonder Wheels on them and they seem to have come up quite well, but I wondered if there was anything that can polish them up boy racer stylee without the obvious drawbacks of polish + brake discs

Has anyone got any experience of using these discs and will I get thru pads quicker due to the grooves biting into the pads more?

Oh yes, BTW, got them for about a quarter of the price new
Ta,
Andy

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the only way is get them on with some nice new pads and give them stick ...
there is a method of bedding in pads that been linked on this web site that will have your discs gleaming in no time...
do not polish them !!
oh And I had a set of them fitted before my big brake conversion and did not see my pad wear increse significantly

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Brake pads are the best thing to polish them with..

Andrew
Wondering if I could ebay the 4 sets of well work Brembo disks in the garage....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, but if pads are the best thing to polish them with, then why do my standard discs look corroded?
I did seriously wonder if there was something you could treat them with to stop them going dull? I was not seriously going to polish them! Maybe a top gloss tho!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
They go rusty as:

They are iron
They get very hot

hot things oxidise much better than cold thinks (heat is a catalyst?)

Some disks (black diamond??) are treated except the wear areas, asnd some disk materials are less prone to rusting.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts