Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
You'll need to take the head off (a frustrating experience if you haven't done it before, especialy disconnecting the inlet manifold) then dismantle a lot of the valve train...... depends a lot on your experience and the tools you have, it's a lot easier than a later engine with balance shafts, but still a pretty big job and not especialy easy I have to say.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Dave,

Don't think the head needs to be removed does it? Remove rocker cover, and cam-shaft. Lift off cam-shaft and rocker gear to expose hydraulic tappets seated below (neat little drums).

Definately not a job for amatures though (so I wouldn't attempt it!) cos you need to make sure cam-shaft is properly set back up or you could get valve timing wrong hit valves on the pistons... which is very nasty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Paul D is right, you don't have to take the head off to change the tappets - my mistake, been working all hours recently building a race Ford X-Flow which seems to have addled my brain....

I agree with Simon - my b202 engine sounds like a bag of spanners for about a minute after a cold start then, because a baffle has gone in one of the exhaust boxes, it rattles nicely afterwards as well..... had the head off, done the valves/replaced tappets, timiming chain and all tensioners/guides - before anyone starts : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.