Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just coming upto my 110k oil and filter change and the car's previous service records suggest that regular old dino oils have been used upto now.

I understand the benefits that can be had from using synth from day one, but is there any advantage in switching to synth at this mileage ??

Greg
'96 CSE 2.3FPT

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think you will see too many benefits. I changed from the Saab semi-synth to Halfords fully synthetic and there are few differences. I gained one small oil leak, but that frequently happens when you go synthetic as it is thinner. The car uses only a tiny bit of oil and never requires topping up between services (105k). I guess if you get a good quality oil you will see very few differences.
Don't forget to buy a new sump washer and use the Saab filter for every oil change. If your car has ever been serviced by the local Saab dealer down here in Dorset, check the condition of the sump plug. You might want a new one of those too, I did!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John.. thanks for the reply..
As you've seen we're not a million miles apart!

I'm reasonably competent with a set of spanners so have done/will do the majority of maintenance myself, but would be interested to know where you go for your garage services..

Did Bristol Street Saab re-locate when the Hampshire Centre thingie expanded beyond all recognition?

Cheers

Greg

p.s. I'll probably keep the synth for the bikes then - Castrol Magnatec's going in the Saab I think..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
go for synth...
imho its worth the extra if you are keeping the car ....
My car has done 200 k on it ..just been re-built and all I needed were some piston rings !!

all I would say is flush out between dino and synth to get rid of all the tarry deposits...
(or you could move up to semi and then to fully )
but I would flush
It has been reported that there has been sump strainer blockage leading to big ends knackering !!
do a search the subject has been discussed in great depth

·
Registered
218 Posts
I reckon ylee has a good point. You were talking about Magnatec which I think is Semi-synthetic anyway. Have you checked out the prices of oil from GSF in Poole. They can be much cheaper. I paid about 2/3rds the price for a semi-synthetic. Order your oil filter from Elkparts though, they have the genuine Saab ones.
BTW, Bristol Street Saab closed down and the Saab main dealer is Sewards in Christchurch. I have had issues with them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duncan..

Yup - GSF sold me 10 litres of Quantum (VW spec) semi synth that I was going to throw in the bikes this spring .. I was amazed and very pleased to pay only £13.00 / 5 litres...

The Magnatec...well, it was way too slippery in my touring bike - a Honda ST1100... as it was 'wet-clutch' the friction modifiers in the Magnatec did too good a job and made the clutch slip like a b*gger... Ideal in the CSE though!!

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts