Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

in my Saab the full beam dipped beam switch has stopped locking in theb full beam position. I.e. when you pull the lever, you switch to full beam, but as soon as the lever is released, one returns to dipped beam, as the switch doesnt stay in full beam as it should. Is this a common known problem and should I just try to get a new switch, or are there easy fixes for this??

Cheers

Ingo

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
In '87, the latching was a function of the switch (later years used a momentary switch with latching relay). The contacts are operated by a plastic cam in the switch. No relay is used and the switch carries the full lamp current. Any bad contact in or to the switch can cause the internal contacts to heat up and melt the cam, causing the symptoms you describe.

On my '87, I replaced the switch with a secondhand one but eventually that failed too, due to a poor contact on the connector to the switch. I repaired the cam in the original switch by remoulding it with a soldering iron and wired in two relays - one for main beam, one for dipped - under the dashboard. It worked flawlessly after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.