Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
He said a lug has snapped off in any event the seals leak anyway loosing boost mpg and more strain on the turbo
Not sure what the poster means by lug....something plastic broken on the bar or the flap itself..........or on the manifold.

Take your point on the seals though if something has broken due to the tension from the actuator then the flaps must be pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
there are lugs ( ball joints) on the flaps them selves which then connect to the bar.... if these have broken no "repair kit" will sort that ....

even a new one will fail in a short time. and leak before that unnoticed..

as above ony way is to get rid completely and the caps you can buy are a load of crap aswell

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Clearly, as some of us are aware from seeing the Pierburg Technical Bulletin showing there has been a revision of the earlier inlet manifold version that seemed to suffer from the well known problems described, is there any evidence from anyone who may have had their inlet manifold replaced with the revised version that the problem persists? or has the problem been solved?

I only ask because you can clearly buy the revised manifold for about £160. I realise there is a lot of work involved in swapping these things out and I fully understand the 'de-flap' brigade, but if someone does want to keep things as standard, then it would be interesting to know if anyone has evidence or experience of the revised kit.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
from my experience there are no draw backs in removing flaps.... and the many many scrap inlets i have revised and sold and fitted to peoples cars had no negitive feedback... more over the scrap inlets ive bought have been both the newer and older versions..... there is no getting away from diesel soot while the egr is still there that is the killer...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I tell you what nathan, believe this or not, but since I replaced the factory fit EGR gasket with the revised Fiat gasket and been putting the Shell Nitro diesel, everything, including the MAP sensor, have remained remarkably clean.......

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
The restrictor gasket would be a decent half measure and I agree if fitting a new manifold a fiat restrictor or blank plate with an 8mm hole ( minimum) is advised.... Although I have known these throw codes on a small amount of vehicles also.... The problem is the Maf vs egr map ( air flow / stroke ) in the main map knows something is wrong if way out .... And the values between early DTH late DTH fiat Alfa and Saab can be slightly different meaning some people have varying success with both types of restricting method .....

I my self have had an inlet on 2 years no issues albeit small leak on pot 1 but bar is fine as no egr ...

I have a highly modified inlet I'm testing soon on my new race spec DTH ive nearly finished which I'm branding a dthR when its up and running and works I may start selling it as it has a lot of improvements

·
Registered
236 Posts
The restrictor gasket would be a decent half measure and I agree if fitting a new manifold a fiat restrictor or blank plate with an 8mm hole ( minimum) is advised.... Although I have known these throw codes on a small amount of vehicles also.... The problem is the Maf vs egr map ( air flow / stroke ) in the main map knows something is wrong if way out .... And the values between early DTH late DTH fiat Alfa and Saab can be slightly different meaning some people have varying success with both types of restricting method .....

I my self have had an inlet on 2 years no issues albeit small leak on pot 1 but bar is fine as no egr ...

I have a highly modified inlet I'm testing soon on my new race spec DTH ive nearly finished which I'm branding a dthR when its up and running and works I may start selling it as it has a lot of improvements

Nath, What else will you be modifying on your dthR? injectors, pistons?

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
everything has been modified its full race race spec.... but i was reffering to the inlet.... aiming for 350hp and 600nm if ive done my job right

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi lads
I too had the dreaded swirl flap bar falling off and did the cheap repair with the screw caps from B&Q, that was 15 months ago and no issues since, the car has been so much nicer to drive not to mention the MPG improvements, I did it as per the instructions found on here but used epoxy resin was a perfect fit had to apply quite a bit of pressure to pop it on but that means it won't come off.
I used a piece of string and some long handled fish disgorgers that I just had handy, made it easy as they clamp and lock onto the bar, fiddly but cheap and well worth the effort.

Regards Mick
Hi Mick,

Sorry, I'm a newbie. I've got the dreaded swirl flap bar fallen off on my zafira z19dth and the engine bay covered in soot.

Is it an easy fix?

Thanks,
Aziz

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Hello Aziz, sounds like your swirl flaps are leaking
It's going to be a manifold off job .
Just had mine replaced today
Cost me £750.00.
Blimey o'rielly !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,
it noticed x8r make a mod for the swirl flaps. Personally never had a problem with mine. but thought id post this for reference.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I replaced the swirl flap rod on my Saabillac BLS with a modded rod a few years back. Never had any further issues with it. A decent cheap enough mod.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
I went down the stupid route , put mine in a garage and £750 lighter ,all fixed !
After all,this time on this forum and I go do that !

21 - 35 of 35 Posts