Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
i do not have any feedback on the particular item you are looking at, Ylee, but i have installed the package shown here - http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item219.htm and am very happy with the results.

i have heard of different tuners' APC's / ECU's behaving differently, with some seeming to really 'snap' the power on the throttle only to taper off in the higher rpm range. while other tuners' chips while seem to gradually put the power on, increasing throughout the rpm band. the APC/EPROM/injector package i purchased has certainly increased the torque tremendously, with an obvious increase even in the sub 2500rpm range, with full boost coming on around 2600-2700 rpm, full power seeming to hit and launch beyond the 3200-3400 range and tapering off a bit just shy of 5000 rpm.
the results in my car i would best describe as increasing gradually from around 2600 to 3200 (when my head suddenly hits the headrest and the tires like to light up) and holding that power until about 4600 or 4700 before tapering off.

i know, i know, different car, different model, different results but i am very happy with what was improved on my 92 900T

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah I looked at these a while back, I kinda dismissed them as I was really looking for as close as possible to 300bhp. I'd also like to have decent torque available up to 5000rpm, rather than dropping off after 4000, which would only give me an extra 500rpm at peak torque. But I agree, they are very inexpensive. I'll let ylee test the kit out on his Carly first.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]I was really looking for as close as possible to 300bhp. I'd also like to have decent torque available up to 5000rpm, rather than dropping off after 4000[/qb][/b]
I think the limitation on torque (and hence hp) at higher rpm is the T25 turbo, which I believe all DI/APC cars had. If you wanted to fit something bigger to get more hp, you'd probably need to ask one of these tuners to do a custom remap. All the 9000s I've seen tuned beyond about 260hp have had a larger turbo than the T25. The TD04 can manage this.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I should add, I was planning to have a TD04 fitted earlier in the year, but the head went and that put paid to that. I'm still considering a TD04, but I might save my pennies for either a GT25/28 or GT28. Not sure which would be the best option.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think you will find that the chips are designed for the low grade US petrol and cannot cannot cope with super unleaded...overboosting etc. I spoke to them ages ago but cannot remember the outcome, but if the chips did produce the goods, I would have bought one! but I didn't I'm still looking for the elusive Carlsson tuner who can get 300hp without a MBC valve...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Posted by Jason:
 I'm still considering a TD04, but I might save my pennies for either a GT25/28 or GT28. Not sure which would be the best option.  [/b]
You have felt my, modified, T25, and hopefully we can meet up soon for you to actually have a go with it . But before you jump for any of your listed options, also consider a hybrid unit. I had a go in a 9000 fitted with just such a beast and performance was

·
Registered
494 Posts
 think you will find that the chips are designed for the low grade US petrol and cannot cannot cope with super unleaded[/b]
not to sound like a smart aleck but... i run 91 octane fuel along with an octane booster and am quite happy with the results.

admittedly, octane vs RON ratings are something that i do not fully understand, nor could i say whether the 92-93 octane i expect i am getting would be considered a higher or lower grade of fuel than what you are using in the UK.

or maybe i am just trying to defend what i spent my hard earned $$$ on

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
think you will find that the chips are designed for the low grade US petrol and cannot cannot cope with super unleaded

I think you may be confusing AON with RON.

There are three octane ratings and two tests.

RON test: Research Octane Number. Conducted under laboratory conditions at much lower temperatures. Generally considered more precise, but less accurate to real world conditions. Tests are very repeatable, but don't give a particularly good idea of how the fuel will behave in a real world scenario.

MON test: Motor Octane Number. Conducted in much closer to real world conditions, but with as many controls as possible. Very accurate data, but less reproducible. Gives data that fairly accurately represents how the fuel will behave in a real car, but doesn't give as precise repeatable data.

AON is simply a mean average of the two numbers.

There's another octane related term called range. It's the difference between what a fuel scores in the RON test versus the MON test. Alcohols usually get a range of around 20. That means when things get hot, they tend to lose their detonation abating abilities. Toluene has a range of roughly 7 IIRC, and is why it was used briefly in a mixture with another material of octane zero in Formula 1, back when turbo 4's were all the rage.

91 AON octane here on the west coast behaves probably like most 98 RON octanes. 93 and 94 AON octane like on the East coast of the US behave most like 100+ RON octane. Usually anyway.

It will depend on the range of the fuel in the RON test. Unfortunately RON rated fuels do not give you any idea what the range is. So in a high temp application like a turbo car, generally RON fuels do quite poorly as they are often heavily laden with alcohols.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i run 91 octane fuel along with an octane booster and am quite happy with the results.[/b]
Petrol over here in super unleaded guise is 98 octane.
Group 9 Performance recently did a load of apc upgrades for the 900T, but when fitted to a UK 900T running on super unleaded it kept on overboosting and they said the reason was the higher fuel octane that we have over here. There might have been another reason but they withdrew the modded apc's from the UK market....I got that from James Dale when I was speaking to him a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by Alex_S:
[qb]I thought 91AON was roughly similar to 95-96RON and 93 the same as 98.  Generally the difference between the RON and MON values is about 10 points. [/qb][/b]
My understanding was that it depended on temperature. In cooler weather on less heavily loaded engines, 91 AON acts like a mere 95 RON, but when things really get sticky it behaves like 97-98 RON.

Recently here in SoCal our Alcohol content has been going up rapidly. This is because of the recent ban of a number of additives. The "range" is probably now closer to 15 or so, which would put our 91 AON at 98.5 RON.

Of course, that doesn't mean it actually performs like 98.5 RON octane in Europe would. Our gas is cr*p on the West coast. But it goes to show how the RON system can be misleading. You could have a very very low MON, and thus virtually no "practical" octane, but still have the 98 Super RON sticker. So to speak.

Anyhow, a conservative tune for US gas should just leave an extra barrier of protection for most instances on 98 or 100 RON. Seems strange that there would be a problem, but possible?

Dubbya~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.