Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to update regarding my recently fitted Abbott spring/Koni damper setup:

Having now done around 1,000 miles on the new springs, I can definately say that 1/2 turn is insufficient damping on my 9000 Aero. Upping the fronts to one turn has tightened up the whole feel of the car. It felt nervy quite often when cornering, accelerating hard and driving over some road imperfections such as man hole covers & pot holes. I have yet to adjust the rears, but am I right in thinking that if I run the fronts on 1 turn, then the backs should be on the same setting?

I am still not happy with motorway speed ride quality, although I have still been running on 1/2 turn front and rear. Unsure what difference increasing the dampening will make? I currently get quite a lot of minor cabin vibrations, which grate on a long journey. Do others with the same setup have the same problem? I guess that a possible source of these vibrations is my Superflex front (front) wishbone bushes. The front (rear) bushes are now Abbott. Could this be the cause of my problem or is this the price I pay for having better suspension?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I certainly get plenty of vibration through the steering wheel from my Abbott/Koni setup. Upfront I also have, Superflex droplinks, Abbott butterfly bushes, Saab anti-roll bar bushes. At the rear, Superflex anti-roll bar bushes. The front damping is at minimum, and this is plenty enough, little roll and enough control (even for a control freak!!).

Nick.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm, interesting re your suspension settings, Nick. I wonder why there is the difference as we have the same model car? Suspension wise, there is very little diffrence between our cars, save for mine has poly front anti roll bar bushes, one poly engine mount bush and the poly front (front) wishbones.

Another couple of runs tommorow, perhaps? Should be interesting to see what the higher damping does to ride quality when I dirve back home tomorrow.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dunno if it helps, but in my 9-3 I've got Eibach/Koni setup, currently running Konis at 1 turn front, 1/2 turn rear, and the car is extremely tight and controlled in the turns, though I *do* get a bit more vibration on the expressway unless it's baby's ass smooth (which I'm hard-pressed to find anywhere around where I live). I just don't let it get to me, figuring my (also less than baby-smooth) 20 yo ass can take it

·
Registered
613 Posts
P.S. The reason I'm running a different Koni stiffness F/R is that I figure since the front is heavier than the rear, I ought to compensate a bit by damping it more firmly. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by pyronerd:
[qb]I figure since the front is heavier than the rear, I ought to compensate a bit by damping it more firmly.[/qb][/b]
Well, if it's like the 9000, the front dampers are signficantly larger than the rears. A particular setting on the front gives a lot more damping in absolute terms than the same setting on the rear.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]The front damping is at minimum, and this is plenty enough, little roll and enough control (even for a control freak!!).[/qb][/b]
I thought this too, until I upped the front and rear to 1 full turn each. Everything became a lot more controlled and the ride actually improved for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually find that the car rides more controlled with the front Koni's cranked full. However, I have noticed that, mostly due to the extensive application of poly's, there is a bit more vibration in the dash when the AC cycles on and off. If this were a car marketed toward the average Joe or Martyn consumer, the amount of vibration would be unacceptable. However, the trade-off is well worth it in my opinion given the improved handling and response.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
In another thread I more or less mentioned the same problem with ride quality after increasing tyre size. The Viggen suspension onn my 9-3 has always been rock hard, but the narrower 16" tyres made life just about acceptable. But with that suspension and 17" tyres the car is now less fun to drive in my opinion. And since I am no expert in suspension adjustments, I am at a loss what to do .

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
try a wider tyre...
the tyre will be less "tight" on the rim you will get more sidewall movement and more bump absorbtion
I went from a 205/40 to a 235/40 0n a 17"x7.5"rim and that made a huge difference
no more tramlinning grip improved and the comfort improved incredibly..it went back to the levels of the origonal 16" tyre

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]try a wider tyre...
[/qb][/b]
With the proviso that you check the allowable rim width for the particular tyre first- 8" in the normal minimum for a 235/40 tyre, 8.5" preferred.

At any rate, I think 225 is the maximum practical width for a 9000 otherwise you will have rubbing problems, especially with lowered suspension.

I run 215/45-17s on my 9000 with full monty suspension and can't say I've had any problems with tramming. This is also the size recommedned by Trent. Yes, the ride is firm and you certainly notice all the bumps etc in the road but there are no handling problems.

I did once drive one on a set of 18's and that was not pleasant

As Abbott did your springs, I suggest you also give them a call and see what they recommend

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone out there fitted front front poly wishbone bushes? I am wondering if I should go back to standard Saab ones.

Oh, 1 turn does not help on the motorways. I need to sort this out before I rattle to death .

I will speak to Giles, but I do wonder if I have gone too far on poly for the cars intended purpose?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
originally quoted by JezF
 Oh, 1 turn does not help on the motorways. I need to sort this out before I rattle to death  [/b]
I know the feeling. Even a train ride on solid metal wheels has felt more comfortable .

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Jez,

I'd hesitate to suggest something else is wrong but as I said I've got full poly bushes- front ARB, ARB link, steering rack, wishbone, engine, gearbox plus rear ARB, run 17" wheels, plus konis on lower/stiffer suspension and I don't find the ride as hard or unforgiving as you seem to.

The only real problem I've found on motorways is that the noise from my straight through exhaust can become intrusive
, although I've put the centre box back in for now.

Are you sure you haven't got a worn bit of suspension somewhere that is consequently giving you less compliance and thus compromising ride quality.

It's all a relative thing though. You could drive mine and say "ugh it's horrible", whilst I'm happy with it. Perhaps one man's vibration is another's "good feedback" from the road

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Perhaps one man's vibration is another's "good feedback" from the road      [/qb][/b]
Mark, your car rides as hard as h*ll. It wouldn't worry me, but I can see how some people would find it impossible to live with.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark, it is quite possible that there is a problem somewhere, although the guy that has done a lot of the work on my car did replace quite a few bits and all the new parts are original Saab.

Perhaps I am more sensitive (ooh!) than most, but then I have an Elise & that does not suffer from the same annoying vibrations.

I do hope that I can sort it out as this is something that I will not live with in the long term.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Exactly, Bill- I don't particularly think it does- I'd prefer "firm and controlled" if that's OK but you do...

Other people (not used to driving anything at all sporty, but nonetheless competent drivers) who have driven it have commented that once they got over the inital firmness, they found it to be overall a more comfortable driving experience because of the increased confidence in it's roadholding.

It's horses for courses though isn't it?

I made my comments in the light of the knowledge that Jez also has the Lotus- which will not exactly be a compliant ride!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mmm, it does make me wonder whether there is something else not quite right. Will mull over a pie and pint & call Giles tomorrow too.

The Lotus is really crashy around town, but stretch its legs and the suspension suddenly becomes more supple. To my mind, the Saab at present does not do this.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh & I should add that the Elise has the same orange Konis fitted as standard. Shame that the 9000 doesn't have double wishbones, though!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Exactly, Bill- I don't particularly think it does- I'd prefer "firm and controlled" if that's OK        but you do...[/qb][/b]
Indeed - that's the point I was making too. On the rare occasions when I carry passengers, I nervously watch them bounce up and down with every bump in the road. Having said that, I've had a colleague tell me that the ride is no worse than his 205 GTI.

And I think my most vivid impression of your car's ride quality was from sitting in the back, where you'd expect the ride to be most skittish. I'll bet mine's pretty jiggly in the back seat too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts