Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At our recent torrid track day at anglsey anyone following the white carlsson would have noticed that at the hairpin there was a lot of tail out action going on....we tried changing the tyres ..no difference eventually gave up as it was no fun anymore...
Now what would cause this ..the instructor commented on how roly it was
Methinks it is something to do with the front arb
...its either not connected or the drop link bushes are shot.
the rear arb is in place and with no discernable play ...
any ideas ?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think I was only out on the track once with the Carly, but not behind around the hairpin.

I have to say though that my Carly is a little tail happy in the wet or dry and under heavy braking.

Maybe a feature of that model?

Ric (Carlsson986) has one too, maybe he can add his comments.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be doing the poly bushes route
starting with the butterfly ones and the fr and r a/r ones
and while I am there I will take a look at the drop links
the bottom gearbox mount looks cracked as well !

what size a/r bar ?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is interesting
so what is the difference between the carly and the aero ?
the specs sound as if they are the same
the components look the same
springs and dampers ?
Geometry ?
the carly looks as if it runs mor -Ve camber on the front ..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]Geometry ?
the carly looks as if it runs mor -Ve camber on the front .. [/qb][/b]
Interesting, because the geometry should be exactly the same. Do you think it might have been mucked about with?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the biggest influence is the rear arb..
as it was definitely rolling more
the next thing would probably be the spring rate.. a higher one would help
and tighten up everything with poly and the jobs a good 'un...

I have some aero springs lying around
now where can I get hold of a 19 mm arb?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb] QUOTE
now where can I get hold of a 19 mm arb?[/b]
I'm sure they were standard on all 2.3 turbos (inc. LPTs) from MY94 on. Certainly my 94 CSE has got a 19mm rear ARB. [/qb][/b][/quote]So does my 93 CSE- I thought it was all the 2.3T CS variants that got them initially, and then later all CS series. The CDs didn't however.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry Guys, Just got hold of this post ..Yawn

Can't honestly say I've noticed any tail out action on the Carlsson, but to be frank I really don't push it that hard. Doesn't mean to say I won't, in the interest of science you undertsand.

However, I did fit Abbott's poly bushes to front & rear ARBs last year and noticed a difference. Things were a lot tighter, roll reduced, as you would expect.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Carlsson 986:
[qb]However, I did fit Abbott's poly bushes to front & rear ARBs last year and noticed a difference. Things were a lot tighter, roll reduced, as you would expect. [/qb][/b]
I'm considering this for my '97 CSE. I've heard conflicting stories, though. Some say do both, some say back only (the front ones bringing understeer back again). Anyone want to confirm or deny one or the other?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
On my CD, I have Abbott ARB bushes all round and the Abbott thicker rear anti-roll bar.. (and the wishbone bushes too), makes for neutral, pushing slightly towards tail biased handling. (i.e. you really feel the nose biting into the corner and you get a sensation of quite a bit of mass at the rear swinging a wee bit).

I've only had the CD on the track once (Nurburgring in the dry), so it would be useful to see it in the wet.

In my recollection, people who haven't recommended going all-round for the ARB bushes have had Aeros, which has a thicker front anti-roll bar than my CD has... (perhaps going poly all round on the Aero, but replacing the front ARB with a thinner one from a previous model would cure the understeer found on the Aero?).

Also on the carlsson, Ylee, what condition are the rear dampers in?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll be fitting a set of Superflex rear ARB bushes to my Aero in the next couple of weeks - fronts are standard. I'll let you all know if I can tell the different between Stork and butter...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.