Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently fitted a set of Konis and PI springs, I am somewhat concerned that the springs may be giving an incorrect ride height. I have stock 16" Aero wheels and if you measure from the centre of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel arch, the rears measure 315mm and the fronts measure a whopping 351mm
. Any idea what the measurements are for a stock manual Aero and for a Abbott/Koni setup?

My car definately looks as though it is riding high at the front. Hopefully, I will make it the the meet on Saturday when I can compare with others. At present, I am tempted to buy the Abbott springs, but this seems like a bit of a waste of money given that the PIs are new. As usual, any advice would be most welcome.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jez,
My Aero has standard suspension, so will measure tonight and post results. I'll be there Saturday as well.
Don't forget that new springs do take a time to settle, but yours does sound a little high....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that would be great. I have also had a chat with PI, who were very helpful.

For reference, PI thought that my Konis are set too low at 1/2 turn front and rear and that I should increase this to get the shocks/springs to work properly. They thought to at least one turn. This would mirror Bill J's experience with his Abbott/Koni setup.

The ride height could well be right front/back, but to me, it looks a little bit odd.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Jez, I measured my standard CSE ride height a while ago:

Front: Left 375mm Right 375mm
Rear: Left 360mm Right 355mm

I'll check the Aero and let you know, if I can get it on level ground. Speaking of which, I assume you had it on completely level ground as otherwise the measurements will be off.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bill, yes it was on level ground. I will await some Aero results as the CSE will be different (10mm, maybe)?

Still, the difference front to rear on mine is 36mm. On your CSE, it is 15 or 30mm .

I always carry 3 sacks of spuds in the back of my car, apart from that, the boot's completely empty.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Not helping too much as I haven't measure my standrad one yet, but from cse to aero this is the changes

Suspension
A lift force reduction of 10%; the chassis was lowered 8mm in the front and 5mm in the rear
Front and rear stabilizer bar diameters were increased by 1mm to 19mm
The diameter of the front strut piston rods was increased from 22 to 25mm to improve bending stiffness under load
10% stiffer spring rates
3-spoke 6.5 x 16 alloy wheels with polished rims
205/55 ZR tires

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.