Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, y'all,
Just had the suspension and bushes done all round by Abbott on my '97 Aero and guess what, I can go round corners now without spilling my coffee(?).

It's quite a change from the comfort of the Aero originals, and there's quite a lot of road noise as a result, not to mention the dash trim now squeaking. Do these take a bit of settling in or is it a case of finding out the setting you best like?

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do these take a bit of settling in or is it a case of finding out the setting you best like?[/b]
I installed poly control arm bushes. I put into the Superflex ones, and I thank again BillJ for the remote help he gave me.
They did not hat to set. Their behaviour didn't changed from when I put them in. I think that you can't avoid some harshness and vibrations if you stiffen your car.
When Saab did the 9k found a compromise between comfort and "flat cornering". If you now decide to move this compromise a bit in the "stiff" direction, no problem, just remember you'll lose some comfort you had. It's very hard to find a "perfect" upgrade, most of the times what you put in your car is just a "grade" in a certain direction. It's difficult to gain something without losing something else.

Anyway, I think you could remove the poly front sway bar bushes and put back the old ones, or new OEM if old ones are shot. Much less understeer and a bit less stiff ride. Many people upgrade anti roll bars bushings on the rear, and leave front stock. I did it on mine, with DIY bushes, (home made), and it runs very well. Much less understeer than before.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mutungi,
All the prices are on their website, but it wasn't cheap! The only concession was that they were doing a special on springs at £199 fitted.

I had expected the Aero to sit a bit lower than it does, must measure centre to arch again, but the stability has improved no end.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would certainly say that the shocks, springs and bushes do settle in. I had Abbott springs fitted recently & the ride has improved over the last two weeks.

I am not that happy with the ride quality on mine especially at motorway speeds, but there is precious little I can do if I want a car that doesn't handle like a barge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.