Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly have the Superflex wishbone bushes fitted into the butterflies.

I have had them lying around so long I have forgotten, should there be some of the small metal tubes to go through the centre of the red bushes?

Also, how long do you all estimate to fit them?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You need to recover the metal tubes from your old rubber bushes.

Depending on how bad the old ones are, anything from 30mins per side to 1-2 hrs....

The worse they are the quicker to fix the nwe ones.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Time to dig out the old blow torch again!

Glad I bought the powerflex ones... still had to use fire but refitting was OK and you get the metal inner tube with the kit (and pay for it, of course)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a pair of new butterflies and removed the bushes ready to take the poly ones.

I bet I threw out the old metal inner parts :-(

How much of the front suspension do I have to remove to get at these, can most of it be left in position while removing the rear bushes?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb]How much of the front suspension do I have to remove to get at these, can most of it be left in position while removing the rear bushes?

Thanks
Skiddins [/qb][/b]
You'll need to remove the lower suspension arm to get proper access.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I begged a pair of worn ones that had been removed for replacement from my local dealer's bin - then i was able to prepare the polys at my leisure and fitting was a simple swap.

Carl

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]How much of the front suspension do I have to remove to get at these, can most of it be left in position while removing the rear bushes?

Thanks
Skiddins [/qb][/b]
You'll need to remove the lower suspension arm to get proper access. [/qb][/b][/quote]I've changed the rear butterfly bush on several 9000's and I didn't remove the arm on any of them. Undo the bush mounting bolts and loosen the mounting bolts on the reinforcing plate, and there's enough flex in the standard front bush to get the rear one out and back in. Perhaps you can't do this with a front bush in polyurethane?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by SJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]  

Thanks
Skiddins [/qb][/b]
You'll need to remove the lower suspension arm to get proper access. [/qb][/b]
I've changed the rear butterfly bush on several 9000's and I didn't remove the arm on any of them. Undo the bush mounting bolts and loosen the mounting bolts on the reinforcing plate, and there's enough flex in the standard front bush to get the rear one out and back in. Perhaps you can't do this with a front bush in polyurethane? [/qb][/b][/quote]Thought someone might challenge me on that, I've only removed the bush once and that was as part of another job anyway so I'll accept that I'm wrong.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily with parents on holiday, I have access to a second car if this turns into a nightmare.

Not removing the whole arm sounds appealing because......I'm lazy

Thanks
Skiddins

1 - 10 of 10 Posts