Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gearbox about to be rebuilt, which means engine and box out. Whilst out I am having slave cylinder, and possible clutch(depending on wear).
Should I get new poly bushes whilst out? Which ones would you(all)rec? Looking at elkparts and Abbott. Which are the best (other suppliers?)...budget limited, so can you give me list in order of priority?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Budget limited? Forget about Abbott. Are you talking about suspension bushes as well as engine/gearbox mountings?

Actually, the Abbott gearbox mounting is probably not bad value for money at £34. The only reason I haven't got one is that Abbott never did one for the '94-on gearbox.

If you buy the Abbott engine mount kit for the upper engine mountings, I think you'll be disappointed with vibration at idle. Probably best to go somewhere that will sell you just one and fit that along with a standard rubber one. Since the front one is hardest to get at, I'd take the opportunity to replace that with poly while it's accessible because poly is less likely to werar out and you'll never have to touch that one again.

Other than that, if you're on a limited budget, I would leave everything else for later, since the suspension bushes can all be done with the engine and gearbox in the car.

I don't really recommend doing the steering rack bushes as they give quite a bit of vibration for not a lot of gain. If you did decide to do them, then removing and replacing the steering rack would be a bit easier with the engine and gearbox (and steering pump) out.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hindsight = 20:20 vision

Well, yes. They have made a difference, especially since the old ones were worn and allowing a large amount of play. However, while I'm happy to have them in my Aero, which I'm not too worried about making uncivilised, I think the drawbacks would outweigh the benefits for most 9000s. There's a lot of vibration through the wheel and I attribute it mainly to the rack bushes. Maybe some day the rack will need replacing and I'll get an excuse to find out.

They're also a heck of a hassle to fit.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
No bushes spring to mind as being easier to do with the engine out. The first set to do would be the rear ARBs as these do make a big difference. They are also just about the cheapest poly bushes and the easiest to fit by far. Check Elkparts for the prices. Also this thread for some other info if you haven't already taken a look.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I can confirm there's a significant increase in NVH if you do replace both the top engine mounts- but together with the gearbox mount, it really helps to reduce torque steer and stops the engine wallowing about in corners. I've learnt to live with it but others may not be so happy.

Like Bill, I'd recommend the compromise of fit one poly and one regular bush to the top.

With the engine out you might also like to check on the alternator bushes for wear, 'cos they're a pig to get at whilst in situ.

Mark

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Re-reading my post I should have said "no poly bushes" are easier to do. Which isn't really true as, like Billj said, if yours is pre '94 you can do the transmission one. Might as well also check the other lower mounts while the engine is out but you can't do them in poly and they're not cheap.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worried about the lower mounts....top ones are new oem ones, but still get a moving(excessive)gearstick on acceleration which I believe is pointing to worn engine mount(s). Which means the bottom ones for me.
Might get them to put gearbox poly in. Only one top mount?Which one?Does it matter?!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably best to go somewhere that will sell you just one and fit that along with a standard rubber one. Since the front one is hardest to get at, I'd take the opportunity to replace that with poly while it's accessible because poly is less likely to werar out and you'll never have to touch that one again.[/b]
Bugger you answered my question.Before I asked it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.