Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone has had any experience with Superchips. I am considering it for my '96 NA GM900 2.0 since I cannot find anything elsewhere. I've already got a JR filter which provides a useful improvement, and next Monday the car is booked in for a bespoke stainless steel exhaust at JP exhausts in Macclesfield. I just wanted to know if they were safe to fit with no adverse effect to the car, and accurate to their claimed improvement. They are claiming a 10bhp increase, for £295 fitted, which seems reasonable.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hmmm, I would question the urge to add an extra 10BHP to the dismal output power of the NA 2.0L engine.
Have you considered speaking to Abbott Racing? They had a competition prepared NA 2.0L engined car firing out in excess of 300BHP. You might be fortunate that Abbott could do better than 10BHP for you.

But IMHO an extra 10BHP in that 2.0L is not gonna set the world on fire .

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I know Munki chipped his 2.0 N/A NG900. I don't know whether it was a Superchips upgrade. It netted him a measured 8bhp, but he reckons it has also filled a large "hole" in the performance and made the car a lot easier to drive with enthusiasm (and I can confirm that he definitely does). Just like the turbocharged engines, peak horsepower isn't everything - torque and response are very important too.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I spoke to Abbott regarding an ECU upgrade for my 2.3 atmo 9-3. They said that this, when combined with a new filter and exhaust, would give an extra 20BHP. The cost was higher but that would include proper power runs to make sure that the mapping was correct. In other words, a bespoke ECU.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got in contact with Abbott, they said they could get 250bhp for about £4000
with very frequent engine rebuilds, not an option really.....Other than that they reccomended to trade the car in, something looking more and more likely. As for Motorsport-Developments, I've just phoned them and they said unforunately they couldn't do anything for my car.

Thanks for your advice guys, I knew Saabsceners would come up with sound help. I guess its either Superchips, or leave well alone until I can trade the car, would love a GM900/9-3 turbo, but also fancy a classic 900 turbo, need some money first!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I got in contact with Abbott, they said they could get 250bhp for about £4000[/b]
Didn't they offer the same package as me? I think the price was around £750 for a re-programmed ECU, sports filter and sports exhaust. I'm not sure if this is expensive or not as I don't have a detailed spec but they did say it was 3-days work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Woofage,

they didn't offer that. They were talking about a full engine rebuild including gas-flowing it, I got quite lost but the sheer expense made it not an option. I think they were implying it wasn't something for race instead of road use, where rebuilding the engine all the time was more viable. It would make my commute into Manchester a little more interesting though!

What they proposed to you is pretty much what I was thinking of doing, except with non-Abbott parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QI think they were implying it wasn't something for race instead of road use,UOTE] [/QUOTE]

I mean for race not road use!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think that if I were to look at this; I would write down the cost of the mods to the NA that I would need to do to make it
Then I would compare that with the cost of purchasing a used turbo model. I would think that any turbo model in stock trim is going to have roughly the same performance as a modified NA. Just some thoughts!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts