Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted the above wheels and wanted to fit more modern tyres than was common when the car was current.

I fitted 225/50 Bridgestone pole position.

I find the car now follows truck ruts on motorways and other irregularities. On flat roads everything is fine.

The orig wheels where 15" with 195 tyres. The OD should be the same. I'm told my CSE has identical front suspension to the aero except for only slightly shorter and stiffer springs.

So why does the car fight back so much through the steering wheel ? And any idea what tyre pressure ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very interesting topic this. My previous E39 BMW 5-series tramlined like mad after I put Pirelli P7's on it. Dealers were completely clueless as to why. The article you provided the link for is certainly useful and clears up a few things.

My current 9000 Anniversary doesn't tramline at all, but then again the steering is generally quite lifeless. It's got Avon ZZ1's on it, which were there when I got it. I've heard lots of bad things about Avon tyres, and they certainly don't grip terribly well in the wet, but the lack of tramlining makes me open to considering them again when the tyres need changing, particularly as the car is driven a lot on the tarmac scabs that pass for roads here in West London.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Tyres are strange beasts some just do not work with some cars ..however it also depends on the size and the profile

so it is almost impossible to predict how a tyre is going to perform especially if you move away from the normal sizes...
Try them ...it is the only way...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Interseting- Tom are you using S03s? I ran the same size on super Aeros and had no probs- bu then I've got lower/stiffer springs and Koni shocks.

It could perhaps be indicative of something worn on the suspension.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I think 225s are really a bit too wide for those wheels. And, of course, the wider the tyre, the more likely you are to get tramlining. I've had no problems with tramlining on 16" Super Aeros (except on Bridgestone S-03s when they get almost down to the wear markers) and I've used quite a few different tyres on them over the years. Always the correct size - 205/55.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
actually they should be better for tramlining as you will have more sidewall to flex imho
I found this when I moved from 205/45 to 235/40
however the brigestones are known for ther stiff sidewall..

swings and roundabouts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had 225/50's on super aeros and they, also, tramlined on certain roads. However, with the same brand and sized tires mounted on wider aftermarket rims (16" x 7"), the tramlining is gone and the steering feels much more precise. It's amazing the difference a half-inch can make - no comments from my ex-girl friend, please

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just out of interest, how much typically does it cost for a set of 16" super aero's inc. tyres? Does anywhere do px for the standard wheels? I'm not really in the market for any at the moment (bit skint due to exhaust/water pump etc. this month!) but was just wondering what sort of price you're looking at to upgrade...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.